US Defence Secretary Panetta arrives in New DelhiJune 5th, 2012 - 3:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta arrived here Tuesday on a two-day visit during which the two countries will discuss a range of issues relating to their strategic partnership as also military trade.
Panetta will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon later Tuesday.
He will meet Defence Minister A.K. Antony on Wednesday and deliver a lecture on ‘Indo-US Defence Relations’ at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses. This will be followed by an interactive session and will be his only public event in New Delhi.
This is Panetta’s first visit to India since assuming office last summer and is the last leg of a nine-day swing through Asia.
“India is the only country we mention in the defence strategic guidance as a partner. And we are really shifting to a point at which our defence interactions with India are becoming routine,” a senior defence official told reporters in Washington May 31 in a briefing about the trip.
“The secretary has been eager to visit India since assuming his post last summer,” the official said about Panetta’s trip, which also took him to Singapore for the Shangri La Dialogue, an inter-governmental security forum of 28 Asia-Pacific states, and Vietnam.
“We’re trying to have a relationship with India that is broad, strategic and continual,” the official said.
“Basically the core of what we are trying to do with the swing through Asia, is to give a comprehensive account to partners and everyone in the region about what the rebalance to the Asia-Pacific will mean in practice,” he said.
- Panetta to discuss military trade on India trip - May 31, 2012
- India-US discuss range of defence issues ahead of strategic dialogue (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- US Defence Secretary to visit India in June - May 23, 2012
- Cut through red tape to enhance US-India defence cooperation: Panetta - Jun 06, 2012
- Want to cut red-tape in defence ties with India: US - Jul 23, 2012
- India-US discuss regional security, defence purchases - Jun 06, 2012
- Want to cut red-tape in defence ties with India: US (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Chinese, US defence chiefs hold talks - Sep 18, 2012
- Asia-Pacific issues should be settled bilaterally: Antony (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Don't become US ally, CPI-M tells government - Jun 11, 2012
- India to keep an eye on Malacca Straits with new naval base - Jul 10, 2012
- India gets hawk eye over Strait of Malacca - Jul 30, 2012
- 'US focus on Asia-Pacific will help India contain China' - Jun 08, 2012
- US senator wants bilateral investment treaty with India - May 15, 2012
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: antony, asia pacific, defence minister, defence relations, defence secretary, defence studies, governmental security, interactive session, leon panetta, manmohan, manmohan singh, military trade, national security adviser, pacific states, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rebalance, security forum, shangri la, strategic partnership