US defence secretary may meet Advani on n-dealFebruary 26th, 2008 - 12:45 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) US Defence Secretary Robert Gates is likely to meet Leader of Opposition L.K. Advani to push forward the Indo-US civilian nuclear deal during his visit to India beginning Tuesday, a senior government official said. Gates is expected to meet Advani, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)’s prime ministerial candidate, on Wednesday ostensibly to discuss the nuclear deal. The BJP has opposed the deal in its present form. The meeting will be a one on one affair, the official confirmed.
US delegates visiting India in the recent past have pressed for the deal saying further delay could spoil the chances of it going through.
India Monday began negotiations with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna on an India-specific safeguards agreement on the deal.
Gates will be in India for one and a half days during which he will meet Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Defence Minister A.K. Antony.
Another important meeting scheduled for Gates is with National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan, which is being looked forward to by both sides as it could pave the way for clearing some bottlenecks and strengthen relations between the two countries.
- Congress slams Opposition, says whole world has rejected WikiLeaks reports - Mar 17, 2011
- Aggressive Sonia spurs Congress, forces Advani to retract (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- WikiLeaks disclosure: PM must take responsibility, resign, says Advani - Mar 17, 2011
- PM says he's not aware of any purchase of votes - Mar 18, 2011
- Advani hasn't denied expose on BJP: Yashwant Sinha - Mar 23, 2011
- A flurry of visits in run-up to Obama's India trip - Feb 01, 2010
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- No double standards on n-deal, want WikiLeaks probed: BJP - Mar 19, 2011
- Congress questions BJP's political ideology on WikiLeaks disclosure - Mar 19, 2011
- Opposition creating hysterical drama over WikiLeaks 'cash for votes' disclosure: Sharma - Mar 18, 2011
- Finally, Advani-Gadkari feud out in the open (Third Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- India-US discuss regional security, defence purchases - Jun 06, 2012
- Civil nuclear bill headed for delay, no consensus yet (Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- BJP faces WikiLeaks heat on India-US deal (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Advani shocker: People upset with BJP too (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012