US couple put on wanted list for Russian boy’s death

November 22nd, 2011 - 7:10 am ICT by IANS  

Moscow, Nov 22 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia has put a US couple, convicted and later released by an American court for the involuntarily manslaughter of their adopted Russian son, on its international wanted list.

A Pennsylvania court ruled last week that Michael and Nannette Craver — who were found guilty for the involuntarily manslaughter of their adopted Russian son, Ivan — must serve from 16 months to four years in jail. Since they had already spent about 18 months in prison, they were released by the court.

The Russian Investigative Committee has handed documents on the case to the Interpol office in Russia to put the couple on the international wanted list.

Seven-year-old Nathaniel Craver — alias Ivan Skorobogatov — died in August 2009 at a hospital in Pennsylvania. Doctors said the boy died of injuries and malnutrition. They discovered more than 80 injuries on his body, including 20 on his head.

The Cravers were arrested in February 2010. They denied all charges brought against them, saying the boy suffered from foetal alcohol syndrome and attachment disorders. The couple’s defence said his injuries were self-inflicted.

Prosecutors demanded death sentence for the couple. The jury, however, found them partially guilty, dismissing the charges of the deliberate murder of the boy.

The Russian foreign ministry has condemned the sentence, calling it “flagrant irresponsibility” of the US judicial system.

Since 1991, a total of 17 adopted Russian children have died worldwide as a result of beatings or negligence, according to official Russian statistics.

–IANS/RIA Novosti
pm

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe