US country singer Kenny Rogers turns 70August 21st, 2008 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Aug 21 (DPA) US country singer Kenny Rogers, whose hits like Lucille and Lady capitulated him to the top of both pop and country charts, turns 70 Thursday.His duets with Dolly Parton (Islands in the Stream) and with Sheena Easton (We’ve Got Tonight) belong to the classics of American music, and there’s no sign that despite advancing age and white beard that Rogers will hang up his guitar any time soon.
“I really, really love what I’m doing. People survive longer if they love what they’re doing. Because you just don’t quit,” he said in a recent interview.
He’s also kept youthful by the twins delivered by his fifth wife Wanda Miller five years ago. Rogers has three other children from previous marriages.
Born Aug 21, 1938, in Houston, Texas, Rogers was one of eight children in a poor Texas family. At age 13, he taught himself to play guitar, then founded a series of bands starting in high school.
Nearing age 40, he had his first hit, Lucille. Typical of the plaintive cowboy songs of ordinary people that he is known for, the song told of a woman who walks out on her farmer husband, leaving him in the lurch.
“You picked the fine time to leave me, Lucille,” the man sings. “Four hungry children and a crop in the field.”
Rogers is modest about his success, despite the millions of dollars he earns every year from his art.
“I’ve never considered myself a great singer, but I am a great storyteller,” he said.
That approach gave him the crossover into the pop charts, such as Lady and the duet with Kim Carnes, Don’t Fall in Love with a Dreamer.
He has brought out a series of new albums, including Water and Bridges in 2006 and the single, I Can’t Unlove You, which hit the US Top 40 recently.
- Madonna, Gaga perfect fit for me: Dolly Parton - May 30, 2011
- Dolly Parton thinks of falling dead on stage - Aug 07, 2011
- Dolly Parton wants to sing at British royal wedding - Apr 13, 2011
- Tony Bennett' next album in Spanish - Jan 17, 2012
- Alejandro Sanz, Tony Bennett perform in Mexico - Oct 28, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow On SNL Belts Out Taylor Swift Number With Jewish Twist - Jan 17, 2011
- Roger Moore beaten up by former wives - Sep 12, 2012
- Miley Cyrus Terms Dolly Parton As Her 'Fairy Godmother' - Jul 05, 2010
- Cowell had fall-out with guitar teacher - Mar 24, 2012
- Whitney Houston: Another star falls (Roundup) - Feb 12, 2012
- India rocks, say 'Poets of the Fall' - Aug 28, 2012
- Take That's 'Progress' named 'biggest-selling album of 2010 in UK' - Jan 03, 2011
- Its splitsville for Brian McFadden, Delta Goodrem - Apr 01, 2011
- Musician Clarence Clemons dies - Jun 19, 2011
- MJ-Macca duet is King of Pop's most popular track - Jun 19, 2010