US consulate opens in suburban MumbaiNovember 21st, 2011 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 21 (IANS) The US consulate general in Mumbai officially opened its doors to visitors at its new Bandra-Kurla Complex location in the city, an official said here Monday.
The formal ceremony started with the ceremonial hoisting of the US flag by a detachment of the consulate’s Marine security guards.
The first US visa applicants, Dinesh Patel and his family, were welcomed at the new building by Consul General Peter Haas and received their visas there.
“It has a nice atmosphere, a good campus and the staff is really cooperative,” remarked Patel after securing his visa.
According to the consular chief, David Tyler, the new building has over 40 interview windows and employs the latest technology to ensure that visa applicants have a short waiting time, besides a positive interview experience and expanded facilities for US citizens in India.
“Visa applicants are going to be really pleased with our new location. We now have a bigger and more pleasant space, and the capacity to serve more visa applicants at the same time,” said Tyler on the occasion.
The new consulate building houses all the US government offices under one roof, including the consulate, the American Center and American Library, the offices of the US Foreign Commercial Service and Foreign Agricultural Service, and the consul-general’s residence.
The American Library, until now located at New Marine Lines, will reopen to existing members Dec 5, said Anne Grimes, public affairs officer for the consulate. She said that people in the suburbs would find it a good opportunity to avail its services here.
Similarly, the American Center programming will resume in January at the new location and with partners located throughout Mumbai, she added.
- US consulate to move from south Mumbai to city centre - Nov 02, 2011
- New US consulate building in Mumbai uses green technology - Nov 30, 2011
- Hazare issue shows India a vibrant democracy: US diplomat - Aug 23, 2011
- Peter Haas is new US consul-general in Mumbai - Aug 01, 2011
- New visa processing system for Indians travelling to US - Sep 05, 2012
- Schengen visa processor VFS expands operations - Apr 18, 2012
- Chennai consulate to issue US blanket L visa - Nov 01, 2011
- Four US diplomats to go on 'padyatra' in India - Feb 06, 2012
- Streamlined visa process draws more tourists to US - Sep 20, 2012
- Headley 'misrepresented' personal information in his visa application (IANS Exclusive) - Dec 24, 2009
- US wants better India-Bangladesh economic ties - Apr 24, 2012
- US government taking steps to attract foreign visitors - Sep 20, 2012
- 'Islam in America' exhibition opens in Mumbai dargah - Sep 06, 2011
- Mumbai to get more air-conditioned buses - Jun 01, 2012
- Hazare to reach Mumbai by Monday evening - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: american library, bandra kurla, building houses, chief david, consul general, david tyler, detachment, foreign agricultural service, formal ceremony, government offices, india visa, interview experience, latest technology, marine security, new location, peter haas, public affairs officer, us flag, visa applicants, waiting time