US congressional debt panel composition setAugust 12th, 2011 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 12 (IANS/EFE) Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi announced Thursday her choices to represent House Democrats on the bipartisan congressional committee charged with reducing the US budget deficit by more than $1 trillion over the next 10 years.
She selected Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, who serves on the House Budget Committee; California’s Xavier Becerra, a member of the House Ways and Means Committee; and Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, the assistant minority leader.
With the naming of the three House Democrats, the 12-member panel, dubbed the “Super Congress”, is complete.
The committee is to be co-chaired by Rep. Jeb Hensarling and Democratic Sen. Patty Murray of Washington.
Once Congress returns from its August recess, the committee will face a Nov 23 deadline to produce a detailed proposal for a minimum of $1.2 trillion in budget cuts and/or tax increases over the next decade, on top of the $1 trillion in savings that formed part of last week’s accord to raise the US debt limit.
Assuming that at least seven of the panel’s 12 members can agree on a plan, the House and Senate will hold up-or-down votes on the package, with no amendments allowed.
If the Super Congress fails to reach an accord, the debt-limit pact calls for automatic cuts to the Pentagon and discretionary domestic spending.
Medicare, Social Security and veterans benefits would be shielded from automatic cuts.
- US debt talks reach an impasse - Nov 22, 2011
- Top Republican Congressman confident of deficit deal - Oct 16, 2011
- US deficit reduction: No deal - Nov 22, 2011
- US fiscal trajectory unsustainable, says US official - Feb 03, 2012
- Economic crisis looms as Obama returns from Asia - Nov 20, 2011
- Obama touts possible bipartisan pact on debt limit - Jul 20, 2011
- Obama cuts a debt deal with Congress (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Congress must act now on debt limit: Top US official - Jul 15, 2011
- 'Deficit reduction not by defence cuts alone' - Feb 29, 2012
- Obama, congressional leaders announce deal to raise debt ceiling, cut spending - Aug 01, 2011
- Obama asks Congress to solve debt crisis - Jul 24, 2011
- Failure to raise debt limit could trigger slump: Obama - Jul 07, 2011
- Eric Cantor Launches You Cut, Democrats Scoff - May 13, 2010
- Obama demands Congress produce `serious' plan for debt - Jul 16, 2011
- Obama vows US won't default - Jul 12, 2011
Tags: assistant minority leader, budget committee, budget cuts, chris van hollen, congress returns, congressional committee, debt limit, domestic spending, house democrats, house ways and means committee, jeb hensarling, jim clyburn, member panel, nancy pelosi, panel composition, patty murray, us budget deficit, veterans benefits, ways and means committee, xavier becerra