US charges hackers in high-profile cyber attackMarch 7th, 2012 - 1:41 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 7 (IANS) Six hackers have been charged of computer crimes affecting over one million victims, the US Attorney’s Office in New York said in a statement Tuesday.
The charge marked the first significant prosecution of major Internet hackers, authorities said.
Five of the arrested individuals from the US, Britain and Ireland are described as “core” members of the hacker groups Anonymous and LulzSec, who took responsibility for attacks on the websites of eBay’s PayPal, MasterCard Inc. and Visa Inc, in retaliation for the refusal of those companies to process donations to WikiLeaks, reported Xinhua.
The sixth individual Hector Xavier Monsegur of New York, known as “Sabu”, has been working undercover since the FBI arrested him last June. Monsegur provided agents with information that helped them arrest other suspects.
- 'Assange bringing WikiLeaks down' - Dec 23, 2010
- Notorious hacking group LulzSec says it is finished, releases final statement - Jun 26, 2011
- PayPal suspends donations to WikiLeaks - Dec 05, 2010
- British teen hacker could be extradited to US - Jun 22, 2011
- Angry pro-Wikileaks hackers may target British websites - Dec 14, 2010
- Dutch police arrest teenager over pro-WikiLeaks hacking incidents - Dec 10, 2010
- Now, Internet 'hacktivists' target Amazon for refusing trade with WikiLeaks - Dec 10, 2010
- WikiLeaks suspends publishing - Oct 25, 2011
- Hackers say they obtained US police information - Aug 08, 2011
- Hackers target credit card firms in revenge for Assange - Dec 09, 2010
- Gawker website hacked for six months - Jan 03, 2011
- WikiLeaks pays US soldier $15,100 legal fee for leaks - Jan 14, 2011
- Five arrested for hacking anti-WikiLeaks computers - Jan 27, 2011
- WikiLeaks hackers threaten UK government - Dec 10, 2010
- Netflix outage frustrates subscribers - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: authorities, computer crimes, core members, cyber attack, donations, ebay, fbi, hacker groups, hector, high profile, internet hackers, monsegur, one million, paypal, prosecution, retaliation, sabu, visa inc, xavier, xinhua