US breaks Pentagon-Russian arms exporter tiesJuly 20th, 2012 - 9:27 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 20 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The US lawmakers have passed a bill which breaks the relationship between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport.
According to the House of Representatives’s website, the US lawmakers passed a bill Thursday breaking contracts between the Pentagon and Russian state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport, which they claim is “arming the oppressive Syrian regime”.
The bill, introduced by Democrat Congressman Jim Moran, was passed by an overwhelming 407-5 vote. It was attached to the 2013 US military budget, according to the House of Representatives’ statement.
“It is beyond unacceptable for the United States Government to work with a firm that is arming the oppressive Syrian regime,” Moran said.
“The United States does not condone the massacre of innocent men, women and children. Furthering contracts with Rosoboronexport contradicts our nation’s commitment to the principles of freedom and democracy.”
The passage of the bill came several hours after Russia and China vetoed for the third time a UN Security Council resolution on Syria authorising non-military sanctions against President Bashar al-Assad’s regime.
According to the statement by the US lawmakers, Rosoboronexport has supplied nearly $1 billion in arms to Syria over the last year.
The break with the US could affect an option contract signed July 18 for a further 10 machines worth $171 million. Deliveries of the second batch were due by 2016.
- US senators seek sanctions on Russian firm - Mar 13, 2012
- US buys 10 Russian choppers for Afghanistan - Jun 14, 2012
- Exclude Russia from arms show: Human Rights Watch to France - Jun 10, 2012
- Russian troops won't be sent to Syria: Lavrov - Mar 15, 2012
- Clinton warns Russia over Syria policy - Jun 14, 2012
- UNSC draft on Syria sends unbalanced signal: Russia - Feb 05, 2012
- Russia to continue arms supplies to Syria - Jun 13, 2012
- Russian arms supply to Syria not for protesters: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- No choppers on board ships to Syria: Russia - Jul 14, 2012
- US downplays Syrian offer to discuss Assad's resignation - Aug 22, 2012
- Russia, South Africa discussing joint weapons development - Sep 18, 2012
- Russia, China veto West's UN draft resolution on Syria (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Clinton seeks Russia, China's help in Syrian crisis - Jun 07, 2012
- Russia, US sign deal to send choppers to Afghanistan - May 28, 2011
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
Tags: bashar al assad, breaking contracts, congressman jim moran, freedom and democracy, innocent men women, lawmakers, military budget, military sanctions, option contract, pentagon, president bashar, ria novosti, rosoboronexport, russian arms, russian state, security council resolution, syrian regime, third time, un security council, united states government