US banks’ net income risesAugust 29th, 2012 - 1:07 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 29 (IANS) US banks’ net income in the second quarter of this year continued to increase, driven by lower loan-loss provisions and higher gains on loan sales, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) reported.
The FDIC-insured commercial banks and savings institutions earned $34.5 billion in the second quarter, $5.9 billion more than in the same period of 2011. It was the 12th consecutive quarterly gain for the US banks, reported Xinhua.
Almost two-thirds of all institutions reported improvements in their quarterly profit from a year ago. Also, the share of banks reporting net losses for the quarter declined to 10.9 percent from 15.7 percent in the previous year.
The US federal bank insurer also said that the number of “problem” banks declined from 772 to 732 in the quarter, with combined assets of $282 billion. This is the lowest level since year-end 2009.
So far this year, 40 banks in the US have failed, compared to 68 at this point last year. For all of 2011, there were 92 insured institution failures, compared with 157 in 2010.
The US banks set aside $14.2 billion in provisions for loan losses in the second quarter, over 26 percent lower than a year ago. In addition, gains from loan sales increased by $3 billion. These two factors pushed their total profit higher.
- U.S. banking industry earned $14.5 Billion in 3Q, up from last year's $2 Billion - Nov 23, 2010
- Chinese banks post record profits - Feb 19, 2012
- U.S. federal regulators close 5 banks in 4 states - Apr 28, 2012
- AIG reports fourth quarter profits - Feb 24, 2012
- Bosch India net up 31 percent in 2011 - Feb 28, 2012
- Pandit's Citi makes profit with India sale - Apr 17, 2012
- Indian Bank to raise $500 mn for overseas operations - Jul 29, 2011
- Spanish bank acquires failed US bank - Aug 22, 2011
- SBI gets government nod for rights issue - Jun 08, 2011
- U.S. federal regulators close First International Bank in Texas - Oct 01, 2011
- Large US banks may be told to undergo annual stress tests - Jan 18, 2012
- SBI quarterly profit soars to Rs.4,050 crore - May 18, 2012
- Bank of America earnings beat estimates - Apr 20, 2012
- Spanish banks' bad loans ratio highest since 1994 - Feb 18, 2012
- ICICI Bank Q1 profit up 30 percent - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: assets, commercial banks, deposit insurance corporation, federal deposit insurance, federal deposit insurance corporation, federal deposit insurance corporation fdic, improvements, insurer, loan loss provisions, loan losses, loan sales, net income, previous year, problem banks, quarterly profit, savings institutions, second quarter, two thirds, xinhua, year end