US asks Yemeni president to hand over powerJuly 11th, 2011 - 9:48 am ICT by IANS
Washington, July 11 (IANS) The US has called upon Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh to “fulfill expeditiously” his pledge of signing a deal for peaceful transition in his country.
A top aide to US President Barack Obama met Saleh in this regard Sunday in Riyadh, capital of Saudi Arabia, Xinhua reported Monday.
John Brennan, Obama’s assistant for counter-terrorism and homeland security, met Saleh in Riyadh, a White House statement said.
The Yemeni president is in Riyadh and recuperating from injuries which he sustained during an attack on his presidential palace in early June.
“During the meeting, Brennan called upon President Saleh to fulfill expeditiously his pledge to sign the GCC-brokered agreement for peaceful and constitutional political transition in Yemen,” the White House statement stated.
Brennan “emphasized the importance of resolving the political crisis in Sana’a so that the Yemeni government and people can successfully confront the serious challenges they face, including the terrorist attacks carried out by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which have claimed the lives of hundreds of Yemeni citizens,” the White House added.
- Hadi elected as Yemen's new president - Feb 25, 2012
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Qatar temporarily closes embassy in Yemen: Report - May 27, 2011
- Yemen witnesses anti-Saleh protests, people seek his immediate departure - Apr 25, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh says he will 'soon' return to his country - Aug 17, 2011
- Yemen to get over $3 billion Saudi Arabian aid - May 24, 2012
- Saleh not to sign power-transfer plan in Qatari envoys' presence - Apr 29, 2011
- Gulf Cooperation Council calls for power transfer in Yemen - Apr 11, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemeni President Saleh calls for early presidential elections - May 21, 2011
- Yemeni government welcomes Riyadh's conciliation call - Apr 06, 2011
- Yemen president to step down - Oct 08, 2011
- Thousands stage protests in Yemen - Jun 27, 2011
- Obama not pushing for Yemen president to go because of Al Qaeda threat: Experts - Mar 23, 2011
- Yemen opposition tells Saleh to hand over power to deputy - Apr 03, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, al qaeda in the arabian peninsula, ali abdullah saleh, barack obama, brokered agreement, capital of saudi arabia, counter terrorism, homeland security, john brennan, peaceful transition, pledge, political crisis, political transition, president saleh, terrorist attacks, white house, xinhua, yemeni citizens, yemeni government, yemeni president