US artists to visit India for smart power diplomacyOctober 19th, 2011 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 19 (IANS) As part of America’s “smart power diplomacy” initiative, 15 American artists and collaborative artist teams will visit 15 countries including India to engage in people-to-people diplomacy through the visual arts.
The launch of the new “smARTpower” initiative between US Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Bronx Museum of the Arts was announced here Tuesday.
“smARTpower builds on Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s vision of ’smart power diplomacy’, which embraces the use of a full range of diplomatic tools - in this case the visual arts - to bring people together and foster greater understanding,” the State Department said.
For up to 45 days during the next year, 15 American artists will travel to all corners of the globe, where they will partner with local arts organisations to engage with underserved youth and create community-based projects.
In India, smARTpower artist Caroline Woolard of Brooklyn, New York will partner with Khoj, an artist led, alternative forum for experimentation and international exchange. KHOJ is part of the global Triangle Arts Trust.
Besides India, the artists will travel to China, Ecuador, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Kosovo, Lebanon, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Turkey, and Venezuela.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- 40 artists donate to South Asian art platform - Nov 05, 2011
- Public art struggles to find its space in India (Feature with images) - Jun 23, 2012
- Workshops, community projects help art push new frontiers - Apr 24, 2010
- 65 years on, young artists spearhead Indian creativity - Aug 14, 2011
- It's a different Arab spring in art and culture - Jan 31, 2012
- Performance art may be slogan of future - Feb 25, 2012
- Krishna to go to Tajikistan - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian ethnic art show attract London visitors - Jun 20, 2011
- 1,000 artists, 20 countries - India Art Fair cometh - Jan 18, 2012
- South Asian art to find new platform at first Dhaka summit - Mar 22, 2012
- Hip hop dancers from slum find French connection - Nov 07, 2011
- US website to identify credible Indian NGOs - Dec 15, 2011
- Capital's colourscape - spotlight on people's art - Jan 12, 2011
- Indo-German urban fair in Bangalore from Friday - Jun 19, 2012
- Artists, scientists brainstorm for green cause - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: american artists, arun kumar, bronx museum of the arts, brooklyn new york, collaborative artist, cultural affairs, department of state, hillary rodham clinton, international exchange, khoj, kosovo, launch, local arts, power diplomacy, s vision, smart power, underserved youth, us department of state, visual arts, woolard