US announces $12 mn humanitarian aid for SyriaApril 2nd, 2012 - 7:27 am ICT by IANS
Washington, April 2 (IANS) The US government Sunday announced an additional $12.2 million in humanitarian aid for Syria as the second meeting of “Friends of Syria” kicked off in Turkey’s largest city Istanbul.
The US State Department in a statement said that the new aid, consisting of medical supplies and other humanitarian relief for displaced and vulnerable Syrian communities, brought the total amount of US assistance to Syria to nearly $25 million, Xinhua reported.
“The United States is pursuing every avenue to get humanitarian relief into Syria and is engaged in focused diplomatic efforts to secure full and unfettered access for humanitarian organisations to reach those in need,” the statement said.
In March, the US provided more than $12 million in humanitarian assistance to the Syrians suffering from continued violence.
The US aid will be used to support the work of international organisations, including the World Food Programme, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
According to the World Food Programme, an estimated 1.4 million people have become food insecure as a result of the year-long violence in Syria.
- US to give $12 mn in aid for Syrians - Mar 16, 2012
- Italy ready to intervene militarily in Syria - Sep 05, 2012
- Assad must go: EU foreign ministers - Sep 09, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- US gives Syrian opposition $25 mn in non-lethal aid - Aug 02, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- UNSC calls on Syria to allow humanitarian access - Mar 02, 2012
- Three mn people in Syria in need of assistance: UN - Aug 02, 2012
- Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey - Sep 14, 2012
- EU raises humanitarian assistance to Sri Lanka - May 08, 2011
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- Jolie donates $100,000 to help refugees - Jun 21, 2012
- UAE sends 40 tonnes of humanitarian aid to Libyan refugees - Mar 19, 2011
Tags: city istanbul, diplomatic efforts, high commissioner, humanitarian aid, humanitarian assistance, humanitarian organisations, humanitarian relief, international committee of the red cross, international organisations, medical supplies, syria, syrians, turkey, un high commissioner for refugees, united states, us government, us state department, violence, world food programme, xinhua