US and North Korea try to end nuclear deadlockMarch 14th, 2008 - 2:27 am ICT by admin
Geneva, March 14 (DPA) Bilateral talks between the US and North Korea to jump-start the stalled negotiations over dismantling North Korea’s nuclear programme have resumed in Geneva. US negotiator Christopher Hill told reporters Thursday as the talks got under way with his North Korean counterpart Kim Kye Gwan that he hoped for a “thorough discussion” adding: “I think it’s pretty critical to get moving on this now.”
The US claims Pyongyang had missed the agreed deadline of December 2007 to make a full declaration of its nuclear activities and disable its plutonium plant at Yongbyon. He said the process was now lagging ten weeks behind schedule.
“The declaration has to be a complete and correct declaration if we are going to get onto the next phase,” he said.
Last year North Korea agreed a breakthrough deal in six-party talks involving South Korea, China, Russia, Japan and the US, to shelve its nuclear weapons in exchange for badly needed energy and a package of security and diplomatic benefits.
- US concludes 'constructive' talks with North Korea - Jul 30, 2011
- US to hold N-talks with Pyongyang - Oct 20, 2011
- US, China want North Korea to restart nuclear talks - Mar 06, 2010
- China, North Korea seek restart of nuclear talks - Aug 31, 2010
- North Korea almost finished rebuilding nuclear facility: Report - Oct 06, 2009
- North Korea began uranium n-weapons programme in '90s: South Korea - Jan 06, 2010
- N. Korea in position to build another nuke bomb - Nov 04, 2009
- North Korea 'not eager' to resume talks: UN envoy - Feb 12, 2010
- US hints at renewing nuke talks if 'right signals' emanated from North Korea - Jan 15, 2011
- North Korea ready for resumption of six-party talks - Oct 17, 2010
- North Korea not eager to resume talks: UN envoy - Feb 13, 2010
- North Korea ready to resume six party talks - Aug 27, 2010
- ROK alleges N. Korea of restoring facilities at destroyed Yongbyon nuclear reactor - Oct 06, 2010
- S. Korea drops demand for N. Korea apology - Jan 29, 2011
- North Korea prepares for underground nuclear test - Apr 08, 2012