US aid worker shot dead in PakistanNovember 12th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 12 (DPA) Unknown gunmen shot dead a US aid worker and his driver in Pakistan’s north-west Wednesday, police and media reports said.The attack occurred in an upmarket neighbourhood of Peshawar, the capital of North West Frontier Province, located close to the restive tribal region.
“Assailants lying in ambush opened fire on the US national’s car as it drove down an alley in the University Town (area of Peshawar), killing the foreigner and his local driver on the spot,” an area police officer said on condition of anonymity.
The vehicle was struck by several bullets, and television footage showed blood splatters and broken glasses at the site of the attack.
The police officer said the US citizen was working for FATA Development Programme, which is being run by the United States Agency for International Development.
FATA of Federally Administered Tribal Agencies represents Pakistan’s seven tribal districts along the Afghan frontier. The lawless region is considered a hotbed of Al Qaeda and Taliban militants.
Private television channels identified the US national as Stephen Devency, but the identity could not be confirmed independently.
The deadly strike follows an Aug 26 gun attack on the US consulate’s principal officer, Lynne Tracy, in the same locality.
Tracy escaped the attack unhurt as she was travelling in an armoured vehicle.
Militant violence has increased in Pakistan’s northwest following a surge in US air strikes on suspected Taliban militants in the tribal belt and offensives launched by the government forces to clear the areas of insurgents.
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- 13 die in drone strike in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Anti-Taliban leader killed in Pakistan car bombing - Nov 30, 2011
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
- Anti-Taliban Pakistani beheaded - Oct 28, 2011
- Six kids among 26 killed in Pakistan attacks (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Drone attack kills five in Pakistan - Jul 12, 2011
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- 14 security officials killed in militant ambush in Pak's Khyber tribal region - Mar 29, 2011
- Drone strike didn't kill top leader: Pakistani Taliban - Jan 16, 2012
- Eight Pakistani troops killed in Taliban ambush - Apr 23, 2010
- Five militants killed in US drone attack in South Waziristan - Feb 21, 2011
- 80 percent of Mohmand cleared of militants: Pakistan Army - Sep 01, 2011
- Pakistani jirga opposes military operations against Taliban - Jul 05, 2011
- Gunfight near US consulate in Peshawar (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2010