Uphaar cinema fire anniversary: Victims’ kin plan prayersJune 12th, 2011 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) The families of the 59 victims of the 1997 Uphaar cinema fire in south Delhi will Monday offer prayers and pay respects to those who perished to mark the 14th anniversary of the tragedy, a victim’s relative said.
Association of Victims of Uphaar Fire Tragedy (AVUT) president Neelam Krishnamoorthy Sunday said: “To commemorate the 59 precious lives lost in the Uphaar fire 14 years ago, the association is holding a ‘havan’ and ’shanti paath’ followed by ‘bhajans’ at Smriti Upavan opposite Uphaar cinema in Green Park.”
The incident took place June 13, 1997 during the screening of Hindi film “Border”. The blaze killed 59 people, including Krishnamoorthy’s two children. Over a 100 people were injured in the subsequent stampede.
The fire was sparked by a blast in a transformer in an underground parking lot in the five-storey building which housed the cinema hall and several offices.
Giving an update on the court cases related to the tragedy, Krishnamoorthy said that the next hearing before an additional chief metropolitan magistrate on a matter linked to tampering of evidence is on July 8.
A plea to make retired police officer Amod Kanth an accused in the case would come up before the Delhi High Court July 18, she said.
- 15 years after Uphaar fire: Victims' kin await justice - Jun 12, 2012
- Fourteen years on, Uphaar victims' kin wait for justice (With Images) - Jun 13, 2011
- Families remember Uphaar fire victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Uphaar fire tragedy: Order on ex-cop's trial Aug 12 - Aug 09, 2010
- Uphaar fire tragedy: Court seeks file on ex-cop - Jan 30, 2012
- Uphaar victims seek sanction to prosecute Amodh Kanth - Aug 26, 2011
- Uphaar tragedy: Court seeks file on Amod Kanth (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Neelam Krishnamoorthy opposes adjournment of plea against Ansals - Jan 28, 2011
- Uphaar tragedy: Apex court reduces compensation for victims - Oct 13, 2011
- No shield for Kanth in Uphaar fire case trial - Aug 26, 2010
- Uphaar tragedy: Court exempts Kanth from appearing - Aug 20, 2010
- No change in CBI's clean chit to Amod Kanth in Uphaar Cinema fire case - Aug 29, 2009
- Uphaar tragedy victims' kin to start public safety campaign - Jan 16, 2009
- Crime victim's kin sore over Manu Sharma's parole - Nov 16, 2011
- Uphaar case: CBI seeks more time to file reply - Jul 28, 2009
Tags: 14th anniversary, amod, bhajans, blaze, cinema hall, court cases, delhi high court, fire tragedy, green park, havan, krishnamoorthy, magistrate, neelam, police officer, precious lives, retired police, shanti paath, south delhi, stampede, underground parking