UPA renominates Ansari for vice president (Lead)July 14th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 14 (IANS) Incumbent Hamid Ansari will be the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate in the vice presidential election, Congress president Sonia Gandhi announced here Saturday.
Making the announcement at the UPA leaders’ meeting, Gandhi said that Ansari has presided over the Rajya Sabha as its chairman with dignity.
She said the UPA is honoured to nominate Ansari for “second term as vice president of India”.
The UPA meeting was held at the residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and was attended by leaders of the constituents of the alliance.
Ansari was elected vice president in 2007 and his term will come to an end Aug 10.
Election for the vice president’s post are scheduled Aug 7. Last date for filing nominations is July 20.
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president; Trinamool does not concur (Second Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- Jaswant Singh as NDA's vice presidential candidate (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- I accept re-nomination with all humility, says Ansari - Jul 14, 2012
- NDA to finalise nominee for vice president Monday - Jul 16, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with comfortable margin (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- NDA reviews vice presidential poll strategy - Jul 24, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- NDA to finalise vice presidential nominee Monday - Jul 15, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- MPs queue up to vote for vice president (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Ansari files nomination for vice president (Second lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: congress president sonia gandhi, constituents, dignity, hamid ansari, july 14, last date, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, president of india, presidential election, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rajya sabha, second term, UPA, vice president of india