UPA playing checkmate game on presidential choice: BJPJune 14th, 2012 - 3:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Thursday said the Congress and its allies are playing “a game of checkmate” with the presidential elections and everything is part of a “pre-written script” by Congress chief Sonia Gandhi.
“It is a game of checkmate which Congress and its allies are playing. The whole thing is going as part of a pre-written script by Congress president Sonia Gandhi,” BJP spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi told reporters here.
His comments came a day after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Vice President Hamid Ansari were named as the Congress’ first and second choice for the president’s post. Within an hour, both Trinamool chief Mamata Banerjee and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, both allies of the ruling United Progressive Alliance, announced a different set of names - former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh - throwing the presidential race wide open.
Naqvi said that till today the ruling party has not come up with a final name for the presidential elections.
“We are keeping an eye (on the happenings).. We will wait for Congress to announce its candidate and then will come out with our choice,” he said.
The presidential elections will be held July 19, if there is a contest. The last date of filing nominations is June 30.
- UPA will shortly decide on presidential candidate: Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- Sonia meets Congress leaders, DMK (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP, Congress spat over Kalam's Sonia as PM remark - Jun 30, 2012
- BJP wants Congress to react, NDA meet unlikely before Saturday (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- BJP, JD-U not on same page over next president - May 01, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- We will support Congress choice for president: Lalu Prasad - Jun 14, 2012
- NDA decision unlikely before Saturday, cards close to chest - Jun 13, 2012
- Presidential polls: BJP woos Jayalalithaa, NDA to meet Friday (Third Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- India's next president: still mired in uncertainty (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2012
- Capital drama: Manmohan joins Pranab in presidential roulette (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, bharatiya janata party, congress chief, congress president sonia gandhi, finance minister, hamid ansari, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, mulayam singh, naqvi, playing a game, pranab mukherjee, presidential choice, presidential elections, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, somnath chatterjee, written script