UPA insensitive towards Sri Lankan Tamils: AdvaniFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 3 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) senior leader Lal Krishna Advani Tuesday alleged the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government was insensitive to the plight of Tamils in Sri Lanka.Advani attended a meeting of the representatives of the BJP’s Tamil Nadu unit, a BJP press statement said.
“Its (UPA) approach towards the current situation in Sri Lanka is permitting the situation to continue to deteriorate and it has inter-alia led to the ever increasing influx of Tamil refugees from Sri Lanka,” the statement quoting Advani as saying.
The legitimate aspirations of the Tamil community, within united Sri Lanka, can only be realised by granting maximum powers through devolution by the Lankan government in order to enable a permanent solution to the political problem, Advani said.
- Sri Lankan political process should be revived: India (Roundup) - Dec 04, 2009
- PM calls Advani's remark disgraceful, Sonia agitated (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Joint parliamentary panel begins goodwill visit to Lanka - Apr 16, 2012
- Nirupama Rao discusses fishermen killings with Lankan Govt. - Jan 31, 2011
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Jayalalithaa hailed for raising plight of Sri Lankan Tamils - Jun 09, 2011
- PM presses for meaningful devolution, Rajapaksa assures action - Jun 09, 2010
- Menon, Rao heading to Colombo for weekend talks - Jun 09, 2011
- BJP to raise Tamil Nadu's fishermen killing in parliament - Jan 31, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to focus on devolution (Lead) - Oct 15, 2010
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012