UPA committed to bringing in Lokpal bill in monsoon sessionJune 11th, 2011 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Vasco-da-Gama, June 11 (IANS) In the wake of the high drama of yoga guru Baba Ramdev’s anti-corruption fast, Minister of State for Science and Technology Ashwani Kumar Saturday said the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government is committed to introducing the Lokpal bill in the monsoon session of parliament.
“The UPA government is committed to introduce the Lokpal bill in the monsoon session,” Ashwani Kumar, a senior Congress leader, told reporters here.
The minister was attending an event at the National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR).
“I request the civil society not to delay the process,” he added.
Social activist Anna Hazare had sat on a protest fast in April in demand of a strong anti-corruption watchdog. He has now said that he will again sit on a fast from Aug 16 if the Lokpal bill is not introduced by then.
- Government committed to passing Lokpal bill soon: Narayanasamy - Jul 17, 2012
- Anna, Ramdev to hold joint fast June 3 - Apr 20, 2012
- Police mum on Hazare request for fast - Aug 01, 2011
- Anna supports Ramdev, warns government - Jun 02, 2011
- Activists to meet PM on Lokpal Bill - Mar 06, 2011
- Ramdev asks president to intervene in Anna saga (Lead) - Aug 17, 2011
- Hazare writes open letter to parliamentarians - Aug 02, 2011
- Anna returns with anti-graft protest, threatens more agitation (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Anti-corruption activists end five-day fast - Apr 09, 2011
- Anna, Ramdev join hands, to hold fast June 3 (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Anna should not fast frequently: Doctor - Jun 08, 2011
- Hazare to support Ramdev's Aug 9 protest - Jul 17, 2012
- Anti-graft fight should not be individual-centric: Minister - Jun 11, 2011
- Ramdev adamant on fast, Anna upset with government (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Congress attacks Karat on Lokpal bill remark - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, ashwani, congress leader, corruption, high drama, minister of state, monsoon session, ocean research, parliament, progressive alliance, protest, ramdev, science and technology, social activist, vasco da gama, watchdog, yoga guru