University student shot dead in Sri Lanka’s eastAugust 22nd, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 22 (IANS) A final year undergraduate student attached to a university in Sri Lanka’s east was shot dead outside the hostel by unknown gunmen, military sources here said Friday.The victim, from the majority Sinhalese community identified as S.P. Samarasinghe, is a commerce student in Vandarumulai University in Batticaloa district, some 300 km away from Colombo.
“The reason behind the shooting is unknown. The police are inquiring,” a source said.
The killing comes barely two days after over 20 Sinhalese students, who have got admissions into universities located in the north and east, began a protest outside the University Grants Commission (UGC) office in Colombo, demanding their transfer to universities elsewhere in Sri Lanka.
The parents of these students from the southern part of Sri Lanka have joined the round-the-clock sit-in protest.
Speaking to reporters, these parents said that they were not prepared to send their children to the war-hit northern and the eastern provinces “due to security concerns”.
“All what we want from UGC is to consider this as a special case and transfer our children to any other university. We will continue this sit-in until our demand is met,” a parent from Ratnapura district said.
- Emergency declared in Yemen, 41 killed in police firing (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Over 400 suffer food poisoning in Sri Lanka - Jul 16, 2012
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Jayalalithaa's Sri Lanka muddle will have consequences (Comment) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sri Lanka celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- India grants scholarships to Sri Lankan students - Jan 19, 2012
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Australia under pressure to reject Sri Lankan envoy - Jan 24, 2011
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Four top US officials to visit Sri Lanka - Jan 12, 2012
- New guidelines to bar animal dissection in varsities - Nov 23, 2011
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Protests outside Sibal, Mukherjee, Dikshit's houses (Lead) - Aug 22, 2011
- India to discuss Sri Lanka reconciliation with Rajapaksa - Jun 07, 2010
- Mahatma Gandhi's statue vandalised in Sri Lanka - Apr 07, 2012