Universities asked to print ragging statistics in prospectusJune 12th, 2008 - 11:54 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Taking a strong view on incidents of ragging in educational institutions, the University Grants Commission (UGC) Wednesday asked the universities to specifically mention in their brochures and prospectus ragging cases and punishment awarded of those found guilty. The UGC has also asked universities and other higher educational institutions to put up hoardings, billboards and banners within the campuses, urging students to prevent ragging. It has also asked universities to undertake other means to campaign against ragging.
Earlier, the Raghavan Committee, set up on the directions of the Supreme Court, had recommended that ragging be included as a special section in the Indian Penal Code. The UGC has already issued directions to the universities in this regard.
The committee had also decided that along with the number of cases of ragging in the previous academic session, the punishments awarded to those found guilty should also be mentioned in the brochures and prospectus of the higher educational institutions.
“The UGC is following the committee’s decision to prevent ragging,” said a senior official in the union human resource development ministry.
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Amendment to check unfair practices in educational institutions - Nov 16, 2011
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- Medical student suspended for ragging - Jan 03, 2012
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- New guidelines to bar animal dissection in varsities - Nov 23, 2011
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Two Haryana students suspended for ragging - Aug 19, 2010
- Timeline of Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case - Nov 11, 2010
- Convicts freed early, ragging victim's father slams system - Aug 18, 2012
- Child panel demands report in Visva-Bharati incident - Jul 09, 2012
- Seven things to look at before you walk into a college (Comment) - Jun 19, 2011
- Chandigarh administration gears up to curb ragging - Jul 17, 2009
- Colleges enforcing apex court orders on ragging: government - Aug 11, 2008