Unilever opens $100 mn plant in MexicoJuly 7th, 2011 - 11:24 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 7 (IANS/EFE) Anglo-Dutch consumer products giant Unilever opened a $100 million state-of-the-art deodorant plant in the central Mexican state of Morelos that incorporates solar energy and will supply the domestic, US, Canadian, Central American, Caribbean and Colombian markets.
The plant, located in the CIVAC industrial park in the city of Jiutepec, is Unilever’s fourth aerosol plant in the world and will employ 250 people on five production lines, each capable of making 500 aerosol deodorants per minute.
The first phase of the project calls for the operation of two production lines, manufacturing 240 million Axe-, Rexona- and Dove-brand deodorant and anti-perspirant units annually, Unilever Mexico president Fabio Prado said.
Unilever plans to achieve total production of 600 million units annually, with 50 percent of output bound for the Mexican market and the rest for export to the US, Canada, Central America, the Caribbean and Colombia.
Mexico “is one of the seven best countries in the world for producing manufactured goods, and the best country in the world, the most competitive, the one with the lowest costs, for producing manufactures that are going to be exported to the United States”, Mexican President Felipe Calderon said during the plant’s inauguration Tuesday.
The Unilever plant will double “the production of aerosol deodorants in Mexico” and create 1,000 indirect jobs, Calderon said.
Unilever has five plants and employs 4,300 people in Mexico.
- Audi to build $1.3 bn plant in Mexico - Sep 07, 2012
- Chrysler plant in Mexico to build Fiat subcompact - Mar 09, 2011
- Honda to invest $800 mn in Mexico - Aug 14, 2011
- Nissan expects production boost from $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jul 11, 2012
- Seven beheaded in Mexican town - Jul 13, 2012
- Akshay to endorse anti-perspirant brand (With Image) - Oct 17, 2011
- Nissan to build new $2 bn plant in Mexico - Jan 27, 2012
- Japanese steelmaker to build plant in central Mexico - Aug 08, 2012
- Nissan, Daimler eye joint plant in Mexico - Nov 17, 2011
- Japanese firm to invest $70 mn in new plant in Mexico - Feb 14, 2012
- Mexican soldiers held for torture, killing of civilians - Jul 07, 2011
- Hyundai to invest $130 mn in new plant in Mexico - Aug 30, 2012
- Drought reduces Mexico's agricultural production - Feb 14, 2012
- Cruise giant to invest over $150 mn in Mexico - Mar 16, 2012
- New Mexican mine to produce 283 tonnes of silver - Jul 14, 2011
Tags: 100 million, aerosol, best countries in the world, canada central, consumer products giant, countries in the world, deodorant, deodorants, fabio prado, giant unilever, inauguration, jiutepec, mexican president felipe calderon, mexico city, mexico mexico, morelos, president felipe calderon, rexona, solar energy, unilever