Unified commanders meet to debate security threatsMay 19th, 2011 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) Three days after India took stock of its nuclear arsenal and delivery platforms, top commanders of tri-services commands, including the all-important strategic forces command, will meet here Friday to debate security threats from Pakistan and China, and analyse their own capabilities.
The commanders will also review the level of jointness achieved by the army, navy and air force over the years, defence ministry officials said here Thursday.
Defence Minister A.K. Antony will inaugurate the bi-annual conference and address the commanders. Air force chief Air Chief Marshal P.V. Naik, navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma and army chief General V.K. Singh too would address the meet.
Though the conference itself was planned and fixed months ago, it comes within three weeks of the US special forces eliminating Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad, just 50 km away from Pakistan’s capital Islamabad, on May 2.
Last Sunday, Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence chief Lt. Gen. Ahmed Shuja Pasha had threatened a counter strike if India replicated the US commando operation to take out its Most Wanted living across the border.
This threat too is likely to come up for discussion.
- Commanders to debate battle readiness, security threats - Apr 20, 2011
- PM reviews security after ISI warning - May 16, 2011
- PM to address military commanders on security matters - Oct 07, 2011
- PM reviews security threat from Pakistan, China (Lead) - May 16, 2011
- Unified commanders' conference starts Friday - Apr 15, 2010
- Aerospace power to be crucial in future conflicts: Antony - Apr 26, 2010
- Jointness with army, navy is way forward, says IAF - Oct 08, 2011
- Air Chief for primacy to operations given prevailing security situation - Apr 25, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Navy chief takes over as tri-services panel head - Jul 29, 2011
- Pakistan gets new ISI chief, air chief (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Vietnam navy chief seeks expansion of defence cooperation - Jun 27, 2011
- Rear Admiral Shrikhande is IDS assistant chief (With Image) - Aug 23, 2012
- During security review, India talks about Pakistan's Shaheen - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, air chief marshal, air force chief, army chief, army navy, capital islamabad, chief general, commando operation, defence minister, defence ministry, delivery platforms, intelligence chief, inter services, ministry officials, naik, nuclear arsenal, security threats, shuja, unified commanders, us commando