Unido’s new initiative on bamboo for north eastFebruary 3rd, 2009 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Feb 3 (IANS) The United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO) has tied up a $2-million, four-year project which will promote the bamboo industry in the north east, including its use in handicraft, construction materials and exports.As part of the project, the UN agency has set up a $600,000 trust fund with the government-run North Eastern Council (NEC) with support from the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, a UNIDO statement said Tuesday.
The project also calls for analysing the prospects for rural livelihoods within the bamboo clusters, as also the pre-processing potential, marketing of produce, product design, packaging and quality control, the statement added.
The agencies are also developing a five-acre plot along the Guwahati-Shillong highway to demonstrate modern technologies for bamboo processing and train the artisans, as also support small and medium enterprises in the region.
According to Food and Agribusiness Strategic Advisory and Research, a think tank, India has 30 percent of the world’s bamboo resources, but contributes only four percent share of the global market.
This is mainly because of the low productivity, which is 0.4 tonnes per hectare, compared to several times higher in countries like Japan, China and Malaysia, which contribute about 80 percent to the world’s bamboo market, it said.
UNIDO will also leverage the resources of the Cane and Bamboo Technology Centre, which facilitated the pact, to offer other specialized services in areas like renewable energy and leather processing to create incomes in the region.
- India's first bamboo park coming up in Tripura - Jan 30, 2012
- UN project to make India world leader in bamboo industry - Apr 09, 2008
- World Bamboo Day to be observed Saturday - Sep 16, 2010
- Filipinos explore business with Rajasthan stone industry - Aug 25, 2012
- UNIDO announces programme for stone industry in Rajasthan - Dec 15, 2011
- Goa to showcase contemporary handicrafts - Apr 28, 2011
- Tripura varsity to launch bamboo development course - Sep 13, 2010
- Private airlines not keen to operate in northeast: NEC - Sep 04, 2012
- North East craft persons showcase their work at IITF 2010 - Dec 04, 2010
- Government announces sops; eyes 20 percent exports growth - Jun 05, 2012
- Handicrafts exports recorded a growth of 18 percent: Maran - Feb 04, 2011
- India's first bamboo park in Tripura - Apr 06, 2011
- Corporates told to give handlooms, handicraft products as gift items - Aug 13, 2012
- Bamboo can help save ecology: Vice president - Sep 18, 2010
- Women artisans forge new links between South Asian nations - Jan 06, 2011