Unidentified flying object explodes over southern VietnamMay 28th, 2008 - 1:55 pm ICT by admin
Hanoi, May 28 (DPA) A large unidentified flying object exploded over an island off southern Vietnam, and local officials said Wednesday they suspected it had been a military or civilian aircraft. The explosion occurred Tuesday morning above Cua Can commune on Phu Quoc, a large island belonging to Vietnam off the coast of Cambodia, according to Ngang Van Truyen, chairman of the commune.
“It was a huge explosion, and we thought at first that it was thunder,” Truyen said. “But then we saw a 100-metre-long smoke trail in the sky and knew that it was the explosion of a flying object.”
Truyen said people in the commune found six pieces of aluminum-like metal painted yellow-green on one side. The largest piece is more than a metre long and 50 centimetres wide.
However, no markings or letters are found on the pieces.
“One of the pieces pierced the metal roof sheet of a house in the commune, but no one was injured,” Truyen said. “We are searching the area to see if there are other pieces, or even bodies.”
According to a military official of the district, who requested anonymity, there were no military planes operating in the area at the time of the explosion.
“We haven’t identified what it is, but we suspect that it is a plane,” the official said. “It could be either a military plane or a civilian plane, but I don’t think it’s a flying saucer.”
According to Ngang Van Truyen, the metal pieces are curved, and no noise had been heard before the explosion.
Several of Vietnam’s government-controlled newspapers Wednesday reported the incident, but none had any further information on the object, which suggests that it was not a Vietnamese military aircraft.
Recent accidents involving Vietnamese military aircraft, including the crash of a light transport plane in April that killed five pilots, have been openly reported in the Vietnamese press.
- Vietnamese island showered with UFO remains? - May 29, 2008
- China protests Vietnam claim to islands - Jun 21, 2012
- South Korean military apologizes for shooting at Asiana passenger plane - Jun 20, 2011
- Vietnamese man opens plane's emergency exit on runway - Nov 07, 2011
- US delivers last Super Hercules cargo plane this weekend - Dec 23, 2011
- Unfazed by China, India, Vietnam sign oil deal, extradition treaty - Oct 12, 2011
- Pilot dies in Czech plane crash - Jun 11, 2012
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- Now, families of Air India bomb blast victims ask for memorial in India - Jan 18, 2011
- 27 killed as storm Kai-Tak lashes Vietnam (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- India objects to Chinese troops in Pakistani Kashmir - Oct 12, 2011
- Sri Lanka, Vietnam ink oil deal - Oct 14, 2011
- ASEAN Cup: India knocked out by Vietnam - Jul 14, 2012
- US military commander's plane damaged in Afghan attack - Aug 21, 2012
- AeroIndia show to be the largest ever - Feb 01, 2011