UNDP, Nokia to join forces for China earthquake recoveryAugust 28th, 2008 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 28 (Xinhua) The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) have entered into a partnership to support rebuilding of southwest China’s Sichuan province devastated by the May 12 earthquake, the UN agency said Thursday. The two parties will cooperate in disaster recovery, with an emphasis on reconstruction, improving access to education and connecting rural communities.
“This creative partnership will make possible the innovated interventions through multi-sectoral cooperation, by bringing together the development experience of UNDP, the commitment of the Chinese government, and innovative force of Nokia Siemens Networks.” said Subinay Nandy, the UNDP’s country director for China.
As a leading UN development agency in China, UNDP has responded to the earthquake immediately after the disaster by providing relief items, he said, adding the UN agency has also committed itself to supporting the recovery, reconstruction and long-run development work in the devastated area.
- India, UNDP to sign framework pact - Mar 13, 2012
- UNDP appoints Aisam, Hadiqa as 'goodwill envoys' for Pak's flood recovery efforts - Nov 09, 2010
- Kerala: Industry majors to support IT product start-ups village - Jul 23, 2012
- Nokia Siemens networks in 1.2-bn deal for Motorola - Jul 19, 2010
- UNDP soccer match raises over 500,000 dollars for Pakistan, Haiti disaster relief - Feb 04, 2011
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- Pakistan needs $840 mn for rehabilitation: UN - Apr 29, 2012
- Nokia Siemens buys Motorola unit for $1.2 billion - Jul 19, 2010
- China and U.S. sign six new EcoPartnerships agreements - May 11, 2011
- EU wants close ties with India's IT sector - Nov 22, 2011
- Airtel deal with Nokia Siemens for expansion in Africa - Sep 29, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- World Bank gives $220 mn aid to flood-hit Bihar (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- 1.3 mn Haitians still in camps months after quake: UN - Sep 03, 2010
- Post-Sikkim quake: ham radio, bamboo applications recommended for northeast - Nov 15, 2011