Undertrial ‘drug smuggler’ roams free after expiry of interim bailApril 13th, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday asked the Tihar Jail authorities why an undertrial alleged drug peddler was not arrested after his interim bail lapsed Feb 28.
Justice S. Muralidhar asked the prison authorities why the “blunder” was committed and directed them to reply by April 15, the next date of hearing.
The court was hearing a bail application of Satpal Juneja who was caught allegedly smuggling heroin to Dubai from the Indira Gandhi International Airport in 2001.
Earlier this year, Juneja approached the Delhi High Court seeking interim bail on health grounds, which was granted to him for a period of one month. His bail expired Feb 28.
However Feb 26, Juneja approached the court seeking extension of the bail that was rejected by the court saying his medical records showed nothing wrong.
Juneja was Feb 27 admitted to a hospital. The next day he moved an application in the trial court saying he wants to surrender. The court took note of his plea and asked the jail authorities to arrest him. But they failed to do so.
Juneja has now approached the high court contending since he was not arrested despite surrendering he should be granted a regular bail.
- Court raps officials as undertrial stays free - Apr 15, 2009
- 'Biscuit King' Pillai's widow wants more compensation - Sep 05, 2011
- Court orders e-mail of bail order copy to jail - Feb 03, 2011
- Judicial custody of Kalmadi, other CWG scam accused extended - Jul 14, 2011
- 2G scam: Court reserves order on Morani's interim bail - Jul 14, 2011
- 'Biscuit King' Pillai's widow awarded Rs.10 lakh compensation (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- 2G case: Shahid Balwa gets bail, Chandolia's plea pending (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2011
- 2G: Apex court gives CBI time to reply on Chandolia's appeal (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Morani's interim bail decision likely Tuesday - Jul 18, 2011
- Approach trial court for bail: Apex court to Andhra official - Apr 03, 2012
- 2G case: Delhi High Court stays Chandolia's bail (Second Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- 2G case: Decision on Chandolia's bail plea Thursday (Lead) - Nov 30, 2011
- 2G case: Morani moves bail plea (Lead) - Sep 15, 2011
- 2G case: Morani's plea for interim bail rejected - Jul 19, 2011
- 2G scam: Raja's ex-private secretary Chandolia gets bail (Second Lead) - Dec 01, 2011