Under Right to Information Act, Scarlett’s mother questions murder probeMarch 12th, 2009 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 12 (IANS) Fiona Mackeown, the mother of slain British teenager Scarlett Keeling, has filed a Right to Information (RTI) application seeking details of the Goa police’s investigation into her daughter’s mysterious death February last year.
The application was received by the police early this week. Police authorities, who have been target of Fiona’s criticism for bungling the investigations into Scarlett’s murder, are not sure how the RTI application should be handled.
A senior police official maintained foreigners do not have the right to apply under the Right to Information Act. “Only citizens can ask queries under RTI. Foreigners cannot. Plus she has sent it across from UK by e-mail without paying the mandatory court fees,” the official said.
The preamble to the RTI Act clearly says that it can be used only by Indian citizens, the official added.
Confirming the receipt of the RTI query from Fiona, Superintendent of Police (North) Tony Fernandes Thursday said: “We have received the RTI application. In all likelihood, we’ll forward it to the Central Bureau of Investigation, because they are investigating the case now.
“I have brought the matter to the notice of my superiors, who will take a final call.”
- RTI activist alleges threat by Goa minister, police - Jan 24, 2011
- Goa drug mafia issue handed over to CBI, says home minister - Feb 02, 2011
- PMO sees 8,400 percent rise in RTI pleas - May 15, 2011
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Goa police do not have list of drug traffickers - Mar 17, 2011
- Scarlett's boyfriend's aunts thought evil possessed him: Fiona - Jul 30, 2010
- Goa assembly to probe ex-minister's son's role in drugs case - Aug 03, 2012
- Goa officer files complaint against RTI activist - Aug 25, 2012
- RTI, the common man's tool to get things done - Oct 11, 2010
- Goa home minister's sons get personal security - Sep 22, 2010
- Jayant introduces private bill to amend RTI Act - Apr 27, 2012
- Spanish friend to depose in Scarlett rape case - Apr 02, 2010
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Space department denies information to ex-ISRO chief (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- Rahul makes surprise visit to government office in Lucknow - Apr 28, 2011