Uncertainty looms over PM’s visit to PakistanJuly 31st, 2012 - 10:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Days after Pakistans President Asif Ali Zardari formally invited him to visit Pakistan, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has yet to respond, indicating uncertainty over the much-speculated trip.
On Friday, Zardari had written to Manmohan Singh and suggested that he visits Pakistan around the time of the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak in November.
“Our invitation for you to visit Pakistan is outstanding. Your visit will provide us an opportunity to take stock of our bilateral relations,” Zardari said.
He also promised to arrange a trip for Manmohan Singh to travel to his ancestral hometown Gah in Pakistan’s Punjab province.
“We could use that occasion to arrange a visit to your ancestral hometown. If the visit were to coincide with the birthday celebrations of Baba Guru Nanak Sahib, that would not only be well received by the Pakistani nation but also reinforce our mutual desire to promote inter-faith and inter-religious harmony,” Zardari said.
Manmohan Singh was, however, yet to respond to Zardari’s invite, but is understood to be giving serious thought to it.
In an interview recently, the prime minister had said that he would be happy to visit Pakistan provided there are tangible and concrete outcomes.
The recent disclosures made by 26/11 plotter Abu Jundal linking Pakistani state agencies to the Mumbai terror have compounded uncertainty over the prime minister’s visit as it has revived questions in New Delhi about the sincerity of Islamabad to address its concerns over cross-border terror.
However, a clearer picture will emerge after External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna’s visit to Islamabad to hold talks with his Pakistani counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar in September.
- Zardari invites Manmohan Singh to Pakistan - Jul 28, 2012
- Open to Pakistan visit but suitable outcomes needed: PM - Jul 06, 2012
- Will Manmohan Singh go to Pakistan this year? - Sep 11, 2012
- Manmohan to visit Pakistan? - Jul 29, 2011
- Potential game-changer: Manmohan yes to Pakistan visit (Roundup) - Apr 08, 2012
- Krishna-Khar talks: Terror, 26/11 India's 'core concerns' (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- PM says "proper atmosphere" needed for Pakistan visit - Aug 31, 2012
- Krishna to visit Pakistan Sep 7-9, Jundal shadow over talks - Jul 24, 2012
- 26/11 plotter Jundal abandoned family for terrorism - Jul 08, 2012
- Will visit Pakistan after action on 26/11: PM - Nov 12, 2011
- Amid improving ties, Zardari to meet Manmohan, visit Ajmer (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Manmohan must visit Pakistan to maintain momentum: daily - Apr 09, 2012
- Gilani to decide on Manmohan's Indo-Pak WC semi-final game invitation today - Mar 26, 2011
- China hails warming India-Pakistan ties - Apr 09, 2012
- Ajmer shrine authorities mum on Zardari visit - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: bilateral relations, birth anniversary, birthday celebrations, concrete outcomes, counterpart, external affairs minister, gah, guru nanak sahib, islamabad, khar, krishna, manmohan, manmohan singh, mutual desire, pakistani nation, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, religious harmony, sincerity, zardari