Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against EnglandFebruary 24th, 2012 - 11:46 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague (Netherlands), Feb 24 (IANS) Luciano Narsingh and Ola John received their first call-up for the Netherlands national football team Friday for next Wednesday’s friendly against England at Wembley Stadium in London.
Compared to the pre-selection, which was announced last week, Jeremain Lens (PSV), Vurnon Anita (Ajax) and Adam Maher (AZ) were dropped by head coach Bert van Marwijk. Both 19-year-old John (FC Twente) and 22-year-old Narsingh (sc Heerenveen) are wingers.
“In the past period I have tried many players on that position, like Roy Beerens, Ryan Babel, Ibrahim Afellay and Derk Boerrigter. This is one of the last friendly matches before Euro 2012, so I wanted to see Ola and Luciano as well,” Van Marwijk was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Van Marwijk also named star players Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben, who are both under pressure at their respective clubs Inter Milan (Italy) and Bayern Munich (Germany).
“If I compare the situation to the pre World Cup phase, it was looking better back then,” Van Marwijk said. “Anyway, form can return at once. I hope everyone will at least play as much as possible in the final months of this season.”
Goalkeepers: Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Maarten Stekelenburg (AS Roma), Michel Vorm (Swansea City).
Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), Jeffrey Bruma (HSV), Urby Emanuelson (AC Milan), John Heitinga (Everton), Joris Mathijsen (Malaga), Erik Pieters (PSV), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord).
Midfielders: Mark van Bommel (AC Milan), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (Sporting Portugal), Wesley Sneijder (Internazionale), Kevin Strootman (PSV), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV).
Forwards: Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke 04), Ola John (FC Twente), Luuk de Jong (FC Twente), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Luciano Narsingh (sc Heerenveen), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich).
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Pieters to miss Euro 2012 due to foot injury - May 08, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Dutch have no worries upfront, but defence vulnerable - Jun 02, 2012
- PSV extend lead after win over Feyenoord - Feb 27, 2012
- Feyenoord secure a Champions League prelim's ticket - May 07, 2012
- Can the highly talented Dutch finally win World Cup? (Group E profile) - May 30, 2010
- Twente crush PSV as AZ move back on top in Dutch football - Mar 05, 2012
- Euro 2012: Germany down Dutch 2-1 on Gomez double - Jun 14, 2012
- PSV sign Dutch forward Narsingh - Jul 16, 2012
- Ajax move closer to Dutch title - Apr 16, 2012
- Gullit tips Germany to win Euro 2012 - Jun 07, 2012
- Van Bommel signed by PSV Eindhoven - May 15, 2012
- World Cup final lineups - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: arjen robben, dirk kuyt liverpool, fc twente, ibrahim afellay, jeffrey bruma, john heitinga, joris mathijsen, mark van bommel, national football team, nigel de jong, rafael van der vaart, robin van persie, ryan babel, sc heerenveen, stijn schaars, tim krul, urby emanuelson, van persie arsenal, vfb stuttgart, wesley sneijder