Unauthorized construction: MCD must respondNovember 2nd, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 2 (IANS) The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) must respond to a petition against it for failing to seal and stop illegal construction in Chandni Chowk and nearby city areas, the Delhi High Court said Wednesday.
Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, while issuing a notice to MCD, asked its counsel H.S. Phoolka to seek instruction from the department.
Phoolka must inform the court by Nov 16.
Phoolka submitted to the court that the agency has already taken action against some illegal constructions in the walled city area.
Phoolka would file a detailed affidavit on the issue by next date of hearing.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by advocate Sanjeev Sabharwal on behalf of Naval Kishore Gupta, a resident of Chandini Chowk, who alleged that large-scale illegal construction has been going on in connivance with MCD officials.
“The builders have grabbed the land and illegally constructed houses without following proper building by-laws without even leaving space for public roads and no action has been taken against them,” said the petition.
Claiming that he has obtained the information through a Right To Information application, the petitioner said that 147 properties were found to be illegal and no step had been taken by MCD despite his representation.
Due to unauthorized construction, accidents can happen anytime, the petitioner said.
Seeking that the court initiate a demolition drive in the area, the petitioner sought inspection of the entire Chandni Chowk in the presence of the court commissioner, so that the unauthorised construction in the area can be pointed out.
- MCD asked for report on sealing drive - Apr 02, 2011
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Mosque case: Petitioner seeks action against lawmaker - Jul 23, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Chandigarh man on MCD rolls surprises court (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Court asks police to maintain peace during Shia procession - Jan 24, 2011
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Student's plea against central board rejected - Sep 03, 2011
- Court declines plea on blocking of web pages - Sep 05, 2012
- Civil services English paper has experts' nod, court told - Aug 22, 2012
- Khan Market demolition, sealing drive put off by court (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Delhi High Court directs DDA to take encroached land back - May 02, 2012
- Government gets notice on information panel vacancies (Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- Court tells DDA to give flat to man waiting for 30 years (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: chandni chowk, city areas, connivance, construction accidents, court commissioner, delhi high court, demolition drive, illegal construction, illegal constructions, information application, kishore, leaving space, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, nearby city, petitioner, public interest litigation, public roads, sahai, walled city