Unattended bags create security scare at Mumbai airportSeptember 10th, 2011 - 12:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 10 (IANS) Two incidents of unattended bags lying at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport created a security scare here and sent officials working overtime.
Both incidents took place Friday. In the first instance, an unattended ladies bag was spotted lying at the car pick-up point of Terminal 1B of the airport around 7.15 p.m.
Immediately the Bomb Disposal Squad was alerted which rushed to the spot and checked the bag.
It was declared safe after about an hour, a official said.
Barely two hours later, around 10.30 pm, another unattended kid’s bag was found in the vicinity.
After the Bomb Disposal Squad checked it too and found nothing dangerous, an all-clear signal was given around 11.15 pm.
“We have both the unidentified bags. They will be returned to the claimants after they provide proper identification,” the official told IANS Saturday morning.
Vital installations in and around Mumbai have been thrown under a tight security blanket following the blast outside Delhi High Court Wednesday, which left 13 dead and around 90 injured.
Besides, security agencies across the state have geared up for the immersion ceremonies of lakhs of Lord Ganapati idols at the end of the 11-day Ganeshotsav festival Sunday.
- Unclaimed bag sparks bomb scare at Mumbai airport - Sep 16, 2011
- 1,000 train passengers escape disaster in Assam (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Narrow escape for 1,000 train passengers in Assam - Jun 17, 2011
- South African airport evacuated after bomb scare - Jun 24, 2012
- Bomb scare at Delhi airport - Apr 06, 2011
- Suspicious bag outside IT office triggers panic - Jul 22, 2011
- Bomb scare outside Delhi college (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Peaceful Ganesh processions on amid tight security in Hyderabad - Sep 11, 2011
- Bomb scare hits rail services in Bangladesh - Jul 07, 2012
- Explosives found at Howrah station - Feb 11, 2010
- Tightest ever security for Ganesh immersions Sunday (Lead) - Sep 07, 2011
- Bomb scare at Delhi Metro station - Apr 14, 2011
- Delhi airport bomb scare turns out to be security drill - Dec 05, 2009
- Man held over bomb threat to Amsterdam airport (Lead) - Feb 13, 2012
- Two-wheeler ban likely at Ganesh immersion sites - Sep 08, 2011
Tags: bomb disposal squad, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, claimants, clear signal, delhi high court, first instance, immersion, lakhs, lord ganapati, mumbai airport, saturday morning, security agencies, security blanket, security scare, tight security, vicinity