Unable to study engineering, woman kills selfAugust 3rd, 2012 - 11:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 3 (IANS) A 19-year-old woman in Rajasthan Friday killed herself by jumping in front of a train for not being allowed to study engineering, police said.
In her suicide note, Pooja Singh Kumawat said she was unable to pursue her dream of becoming an engineer because she was a woman, police said.
The incident occurred in Bhadara in Hanumangarh district, around 250 km from here.
“She was a first-year B.Sc. student in a private college. Her father is a milk supplier,” said a police officer.
The official said Pooja left for college around 8 a.m. and three hours later jumped before the train near Bhadara Railway Station.
“We recovered a notebook from the spot in which she had written that she wanted to study in IIT. However, she was not allowed to follow her dream by her family members. She said only boys were allowed to pursue their dreams,” the official said.
Pooja had secured good marks in her senior secondary examination, the officer said.
- Denied bank loan, Kerala nursing student ends life - Apr 30, 2012
- Lucknow University enrolls country's youngest matriculate - Dec 28, 2010
- Lucknow's ten-year-old girl gets admission in college in science stream - Dec 30, 2010
- College student jumps to death in Delhi hospital (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- CBI probe demanded into engineering fresher's death - Sep 12, 2011
- Five students booked for ragging in Rajasthan - Sep 30, 2011
- Teacher's mission to return dropouts to school pays off - Jun 08, 2012
- Student hangs herself over obscene Facebook comments - Aug 16, 2012
- IIT Bombay starts training 10,000 teachers - Jun 25, 2012
- Engineering student commits suicide in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 15, 2009
- Student thrashed by colleagues at private college - Sep 10, 2011
- Jalandhar girl's suicide: Woman police officer suspended - Aug 31, 2012
- Punjab get injured African student airlifted - Aug 05, 2012
- Father-in-law kills newly-married woman - Sep 20, 2011
- Track record (To go with Metro suicide story) - Mar 13, 2012