UN Security Council condemns attack on US embassy in BelgradeFebruary 22nd, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by admin
United Nations, Feb 22 (RIA Novosti) The UN Security Council Friday condemned attacks on the US embassy in Belgrade by rioters protesting Kosovo’s independence. The Security Council’s statement urged Serbs to stay within international law and to respect the status of diplomatic missions.
More than 150 people were injured when the demonstration by some 250,000 protestors turned into running street battles with the police in the Serbian capital Belgrade Thursday.
Rioters attacked the embassies of the US, Croatia, Belgium and Turkey, throwing stones and Molotov cocktails. The US embassy suffered extensive damage and several floors were set on fire.
Washington said all US diplomats were safe.
The police used tear-gas to disperse the crowd. Hustled away from the embassies, the rioters - mostly youths - moved down the streets looting and damaging shops, kiosks and setting cars alight.
Serbian President Boris Tadic, on a visit to Romania, called in a TV address for the riots to stop. The police were unable to restore control until far into the night. About a hundred people are reported to have been arrested.
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- War crimes suspect Hadzic extradited to The Hague - Jul 22, 2011
- Clashes erupt in Serbia protest against Mladic arrest - May 30, 2011
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Serbian president ordered to pay fine over World Cup champagne - Dec 08, 2009
- Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive Mladic held (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Serbia confers top award to Djokovic - Feb 15, 2012
- Anti-Assad protesters attack Russian embassy in London - Aug 17, 2012
- Gunman outside US embassy in Sarajevo arrested: Police - Oct 29, 2011
- Kuwait football coach out of coma - Sep 06, 2012
- Russian embassy in Libya stormed over veto on Syria - Feb 06, 2012
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Kuwait football coach shot, in critical condition - Aug 26, 2012
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- Serbian president heads to UN after Kosovo independence claim - Feb 18, 2008