UN secretary general calls for end to Yemen clashesMay 26th, 2011 - 4:46 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, May 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon urged Wednesday an end to clashes between Yemeni protesters and government troops in the capital of Sana’a.
“The secretary general calls on all the sides to continue efforts towards a peaceful settlement,” Ban’s spokesman said.
Fighting between government troops and armed opposition supporters intensified Tuesday after a brief lull in a nation-wide uprising against President Ali Abdullah Saleh that has been raging for over three months.
According to Yemeni officials, at least 24 tribesmen and 14 government soldiers were killed Tuesday in fierce street battles in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a.
The clashes followed the collapse Sunday of a transition deal mediated by Gulf Arab neighbours that Saleh refused to sign. The deal would have given him immunity from prosecution after his voluntary resignation.
- Yemen may witness signing of power transition plan Saturday - Apr 27, 2011
- Saleh says he is 'in good health' after mosque attack - Jun 04, 2011
- Yemeni vice president is acting president: Al Jazeera - Jun 05, 2011
- Third Russian plane heads to Yemen for evacuation - Jun 14, 2011
- Syria lifts state of emergency after five decades - Apr 20, 2011
- 175 Russians evacuated from Yemen - Jun 13, 2011
- Russia sends two planes to evacuate nationals from Yemen - Jun 12, 2011
- Over 50 killed as clashes between Yemeni security forces and tribal rebels continue - May 25, 2011
- Yemeni government, armed tribesmen agree on ceasefire - May 29, 2011
- Yemen witnesses anti-Saleh protests, people seek his immediate departure - Apr 25, 2011
- Yemeni president suggests dialogue with opposition - Feb 25, 2011
- 400 demonstrators injured in Yemen clashes - Apr 05, 2011
- Yemen opposition insists Saleh quit, president digs in - Mar 22, 2011
- Mortar shells hit Yemeni Air Force Base, destroying two fighter jets - Oct 31, 2011
- 50 killed at Yemen military parade - May 21, 2012
Tags: ali abdullah saleh, arab neighbours, ban ki moon, clashes, government soldiers, government troops, gulf arab, immunity from prosecution, lull, opposition supporters, peaceful settlement, president ali abdullah saleh, protesters, ria novosti, street battles, tribesmen, un secretary general, uprising, voluntary resignation, yemeni capital