UN provides $1.3 million for China quake survivorsMay 26th, 2008 - 2:54 pm ICT by admin
Manila, May 26 (DPA) The World Health Organisation (WHO) said Monday it has received $1.3 million in emergency funds from the UN to provide medical supplies and support for survivors of China’s devastating earthquake. WHO’s regional office, which is based in Manila, said the money provided by the UN’s Central Emergency Response Fund would strengthen humanitarian relief programmes and ensure that critical, life-saving activities were functioning in affected areas.
“WHO will strengthen China’s power to reduce the risks of epidemic outbreaks and to treat any cases of communicable diseases that appear,” said Eric Laroche, assistant director general for WHO’s Health Action in Crises cluster.
“Damaged health facilities must start treating survivors as quickly as possible for injuries, potential diarrhoeal diseases and acute respiratory infections and psychosocial trauma,” he added.
WHO is also sending a team of experts to China to support government efforts to reconstruct health care services and support disease control efforts.
The magnitude 8.0 earthquake that struck May 12 killed more than 62,000 people in south-western China, while almost 24,000 were still missing. Premier Wen Jiabao has said he feared the death toll could exceed 80,000.
The disaster left around five million people homeless with at least 436,000 homes destroyed.
- China quake toll mounts to 65,000 with 23,000 missing (Lead) - May 26, 2008
- Cholera epidemic in Haiti may exceed UN projections: Study - Mar 16, 2011
- Aid for Haiti a priority as 600,000 still live in camps following quake - Oct 06, 2011
- China to train 35,000 medical staff for disaster situations - Nov 18, 2011
- Iran earthquake toll rises to 306 dead, more than 3,000 injured - Aug 14, 2012
- 3.5 mn Pakistani flood victims drinking dirty water: UN - Aug 26, 2010
- WHO calls for investment in disaster management - Jun 06, 2012
- Bill Gates contributes $750 million to global AIDS fund - Jan 26, 2012
- Pak Taliban asks govt. to reject US aid for flood victims - Aug 11, 2010
- Underfunding for Pak flood emergency jeopardizing life-saving operations: UNICEF - Nov 06, 2010
- Kidnapped Indian businessman rescued in Philippines - Mar 12, 2010
- UN warns 3.5 million children at water-borne disease risk in flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 17, 2010
- Unicef seeks help for 1.25 mn Somalian kids - Jul 29, 2011
- UN appeals for 460 million dollar emergency aid for Pak flood victims - Aug 12, 2010
- Funding cuts spur global malaria outbreaks, says study - Apr 26, 2012