UN head meets Zimbabwe’s opposition leaderApril 22nd, 2008 - 3:00 am ICT by admin
New York, April 22 (DPA) UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon met Monday with Zimbabwe’s opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai in Accra, Ghana, to discuss the impasse in Zimbabwe’s March 29 presidential elections, a spokesperson said. The meeting, at Tsvangirai’s request, took place before Ban was to fly to Monrovia, Liberia as part of his visit to West Africa.
“The opposition leader complained about the deadlock and the deterioration of the humanitarian and political situation in his country,” Michelle Montas said at UN headquarters in New York. “He appealed for an intervention by the African Union and the UN since he felt that there is no progress with the Southern African Development Community (SADC).”
Ban reiterated his “deep concern” over the situation, Montas said.
“The secretary general appeals for the release of electoral results as soon as possible,” Montas said. She said Ban planned to consult with the AU about ways to resolve the impasse in Zimbabwe’s elections.
- WikiLeaks cables reveal secret plan to remove Mugabe from power in Zimbabwe - Dec 09, 2010
- Riots in Liberia ahead of presidential poll run-off - Nov 07, 2011
- UN chief calls for decisive action on Zimbabwe crisis - Oct 29, 2008
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
- India pledges support to global efforts to tackle piracy - Oct 20, 2011
- Ban backs UN presence in Syria - Aug 12, 2012
- UN offers help during Bangladesh polls - Nov 16, 2011
- UNSC discusses piracy in Gulf of Guinea - Oct 20, 2011
- UN chief urges political solution to Libyan crisis - Jul 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe President Mugabe threatens to "crush" opposition ahead of early polls - Dec 20, 2010
- UN committed to end suffering in Horn of Africa - Aug 26, 2011
- UN chief hails Zimbabwe's powersharing deal (Lead) - Sep 12, 2008
- UN chief visits Chilean city hit by quake - Mar 07, 2010
- Ghana to host African amputee soccer championship - Apr 19, 2011
- South Africa ups diplomatic offensive for top AU post - Jul 15, 2012