UN engineer kills himself after Nepal chopper crashMarch 10th, 2008 - 3:24 pm ICT by admin
Kathmandu, March 10 (IANS) Five days after three of his associates died in a helicopter crash in eastern Nepal, a Russian engineer working for the UN Mission in Nepal (Unmin) killed himself, apparently due to depression. Evegeny Alexandrov, a 50-year-old Russian engineer hired by Unmin for “air service support in Nepal”, hanged himself in the Kapan area of Kathmandu valley Saturday, the police said.
Alexandrov and five other foreign nationals had been living together in Kathmandu, all of them working for the Russian Vertical T helicopter company, which finds itself in the centre of a controversy after the March 3 crash in Bethan in Ramechhap district last week, killing all 10 people on board. The dead included three Russian and Belarus crew members and four Unmin arms monitors.
The police said the dead man had left a suicide note in Russian, saying he was responsible for his death.
The Unmin remained tight-lipped over the suicide with no official statement issued from its office in the capital.
The agency ran into hostile media criticism in Nepal after the crash when it tried to prevent journalists from nearing the chopper wreck and even confiscated the tape of a cameraman working for Nepal’s state-owned television station.
- Chopper crash raises fresh doubts about UN role in Nepal - Mar 10, 2008
- Helicopter crashes in Belarus, killing 5 people - Oct 21, 2011
- Unaccounted bodies among UN chopper crash victims in Nepal - Mar 04, 2008
- Chopper on rescue operation crashes in Nepal - Nov 07, 2010
- Russian killed in Nepal chopper crash - Nov 15, 2009
- Pawan Hans resumes chopper services in Meghalaya - Jul 25, 2012
- Nepal army plane crashes - Oct 19, 2011
- Chopper crashes, crew killed in bid to rescue Japanese climber (Second Lead) - Nov 07, 2010
- South Korean team to probe UN chopper crash in Nepal - Mar 04, 2008
- Nepal government forms team to probe UN chopper crash - Mar 05, 2008
- Pawan Hans resumes chopper service in Meghalaya - Jul 26, 2012
- Eight die in Guatemala helicopter crash - Feb 29, 2012
- South Korea dispatches team to probe UNMIN chopper crash - Mar 04, 2008
- Single engine and bad weather, recipe for air disaster: experts - May 26, 2011
- Pawan Hans resumes copter services in northeast - Jul 27, 2011