UN cuts food rations in DarfurApril 18th, 2008 - 2:27 am ICT by admin
New York, April 18 (DPA) The World Food Programme (WFP) said Thursday bandits had stolen substantial food supplies in Sudan’s Darfur region, forcing it to halve next month the daily rations for people in need. The daily cereal rations will be reduced to 225 grams per person, sugar to 15 grams and pulses to 30 grams, WFP said. The rationing will cut the amount of calories needed daily person by 40 percent, from the recommended 2,156 to 1,242 kilo-calories.
WFP said attacks by thieves reduced by half the number of trucks with food supplies reaching Darfur. It said the Sudanese government provided police escorts for WFP convoys, but the escorts were overwhelmed by banditry.
WFP said 60 contracted trucks had been hijacked this year in Darfur, 39 of which were still missing and 26 drivers unaccounted for. Trucks were supposed to deliver up to 1,800 tonnes of food every day, but deliveries have dropped to 900 tons a day.
Kenro Oshidari, WFP representative in Sudan, has appealed to rebel factions and their commanders to ensure security on routes travelled by the convoys and to respect the neutrality of relief workers.
“If the security situation on the roads improves, we will be able to restore the ration levels,” he said.
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- Abducted Bulgarian pilots released in Sudan - Jun 07, 2011
- UN threatens to suspend food aid to Darfur - Sep 08, 2008
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- European Commission to give €45 million funding for food aid in Sudan - Jun 08, 2010
- Denmark helps Pakistanis displaced by terror - Jun 03, 2012
- South Sudan to get anti-aircraft missiles - May 17, 2012
- CARE International worker killed in South Darfur - Jan 09, 2011
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- ICC issues arrest warrant for Sudanese minister - Mar 02, 2012
- A tissue that burns oodles of flab - Sep 05, 2011
- Militants hijack Russian helicopter in Sudan - Jul 27, 2010
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012