UN chief to visit IndiaApril 24th, 2012 - 1:09 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, April 24 (IANS) UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will depart for India April 25 for an official visit, UN spokesperson Eduardo del Buey said here Monday.
“His first stop will be Delhi, where he will have meetings with the senior political leadership to discuss current regional and international issues and matters of global concern,” he said at a daily news briefing.
According to del Buey, Ban will also receive an honorary degree from Jamia Islamia University, reported Xinhua.
“He will then visit Mumbai, where he will meet with Prithviraj Chavan, chief minister of Maharashtra state, and meet with a small group of key business leaders committed to utilizing their expertise to promote the health of women and children,” said del Buey.
“He will also visit health facilities where he will have the opportunity to witness first-hand the progress being made in communities through his discussions with women, children and health workers.”
Del Buey added that Ban will attend an event hosted by members of a group of advocates for the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), eight international development targets due to be met worldwide by 2015. Ban created the MDG Advocacy Group in 2010 to help spur political will and action to meet the goals.
- UN chief to visit India this week (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Be a global citizen, Ban Ki-moon tells India's youth - Apr 27, 2012
- Ban to meet business leaders for UN health agenda - Apr 28, 2012
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in India - Apr 26, 2012
- UN chief to carry Olympic torch - Jul 25, 2012
- UN, World Bank to jointly address global challenges - Aug 10, 2012
- Asia-Pacific unlikely to meet hunger, child mortality goals - Feb 17, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- UN chief to travel to quake-hit Japan - Aug 03, 2011
- U.N. Secretary General Ban to visit Canada on Wednesday - May 10, 2010
- UN estimates another $840 mn needed for Pakistan - Apr 26, 2012
- Unicef to help displaced women, children of Syria - Mar 24, 2012
- India needs to improve implementation of social schemes - Sep 15, 2010
- Top UN officials to visit Syria - Mar 06, 2012
- India to host global forum on women's, child's health - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: advocacy group, advocates, april 24, ban ki moon, buey, business leaders, chief minister, global concern, health facilities, health workers, honorary degree, jamia islamia university, key business, millennium development goals, news briefing, political leadership, small group, spokesperson, un secretary general, xinhua