UN chief lauds India’s role in Security CouncilApril 27th, 2012 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) Backing the United Nations reforms process, Secretary General Ban Ki-moon Friday lauded India’s leadership role as a non-permanent member of the Security Council and its contribution during the critical debates in the last year-and-half, particularly during the dramatic transformation in the Arab world.
Ban Ki-moon, who is in India on a four-day visit, said at a press conference here that he was “grateful” to India for “showing leadership” in addressing all global security and human rights issues, “particularly at a time when dramatic transformation” was happening in North Africa and West Asia.
India has been holding the presidentship of the UNSC at present. “I am looking forward to working with the Indian delegation at the UN in the future too,” he added.
Recognising that there has been a shift in power balance in the geopolitical and global economic arena, Ban said India is “one of the most significant emerging economies” of the world and it can help the UN programme for sustainable development and in building pluralistic societies around the world.
Taking note of the recent successful test of the 5,000-km Agni-V nuclear-capable missile, he asked India to abibe by its commitments to non-proliferation and noted that he would encourage New Delhi to pursue its bilateral and multilateral engagement with member-nations of the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- Krishna to attend UNSC meeting in New York - Feb 09, 2011
- World media looks at Indian missile through China prism - Apr 20, 2012
- UN chief to visit India this week (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in India - Apr 26, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile propels India into elite club (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Agni-V missile successfully tested - Apr 19, 2012
- Beijing downplays India's missile launch - Apr 19, 2012
- Tougher security for nuclear facilities needed: UN chief - Sep 23, 2011
- US praises India's non-proliferation record - Apr 19, 2012
- Agni-V test likely in a month - Feb 28, 2012
- India tests 5,000-km range Agni-V missile (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Indian missile test makes a splash in Pakistani websites - Apr 19, 2012
- 5,000-km Agni-V missile test in February - Nov 16, 2011
- India creates history, tests 5,000 km Agni-V missile (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: agni, arab world, ban ki moon, critical debates, dramatic transformation, economic arena, emerging economies, global security, indian delegation, lauds, leadership role, member nations, New Delhi, north africa, nuclear suppliers group, pluralistic societies, power balance, unsc, west asia, world ban