Umpires under scanner over Hauritz’s dismissalDecember 28th, 2008 - 5:23 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Dec 28 (IANS) Umpires Aleem Dar and Billy Doctrove came under the scanner after ruling Australian off-spinner Nathan Hauritz out on the second day of the second Test against South Africa at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).Hauritz was given his marching orders, even though no apparent appeal was made by the South Africans after a low edge from the Australian went to Proteas captain Graeme Smith at slip Friday.
Smith was unsure whether he had jammed his fingers under the ball and shrugged his shoulders in a questioning motion to square leg umpire Doctrove. Both Dar and Doctrove then discussed the issue before signalling for a decision from the third umpire, Australia’s Bruce Oxenford.
Oxenford reviewed the incident from several angles before declining to give Hauritz the benefit of the doubt. After Hauritz was given out, boos resounded the MCG as the catch was repeated on the large electronic screens.
However, several former Australian Test greats had no qualms with the verdict and 65 per cent of fans who responded to a Channel 9 poll said the correct decision was made, media here reported.
The rules of the game state no batsman shall be given out by an umpire unless there is an appeal from the fielding side. They also state the batsman shall be given not out if there is any doubt about the dismissal.
- Ponting fined 5400 dollars for 'unacceptable' argument with umpires in MCG Test - Dec 27, 2010
- English media lambast Ponting - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting apologises for his on-field argument with umpires - Dec 28, 2010
- Former England captains blast Ponting's behaviour - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting slams policy of showing replays on big screen - Dec 28, 2010
- Ponting apologises for showing dissent towards umpires - Dec 28, 2010
- Taufel, Gould to officiate in high-octane India-Pakistan semis - Mar 27, 2011
- Ponting fined 40 percent of match fees in MCG Test - Dec 27, 2010
- Dilshan fined by ICC for excessive appealing - Apr 06, 2012
- Video dismisses Pak skipper Yousuf, turns MCG Test fortunes - Dec 28, 2009
- Ponting blasts 'flawed' UDRS, insists Pietersen was out - Dec 28, 2010
- ICC announces referees, umpires for WC quarter-final stage - Mar 21, 2011
- Pot shots taken at "Hot Spot" for failing test of infallibility - Nov 27, 2010
- Dhoni expresses doubts on Dravid's dismissal - Sep 04, 2011
- CA congratulates Paul Reiffel on Test umpiring debut - Jul 25, 2012