ULFA intelligence network busted, three heldJune 26th, 2010 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 26 (IANS) Security forces Saturday killed an ULFA militant and busted one of its intelligence networks by arresting three college student members, officials said.
Police said the three militants were tech savvy and worked for Paresh Baruah, the elusive commander-in-chief of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
They were entrusted with sending e-mails and fax messages to the media and other organisations, besides acting as spies for Baruah.
“We were working on definite leads about some people working directly for Paresh Baruah. Based on specific inputs we raided a house in the city and arrested the three,” a police official said.
Several electronic gadgets, including laptops, five mobile phones, pen drives and hard disks, were recovered from them.
“It is apparent that the ULFA was using tech savvy people for their operations and the arrests vindicate our suspicions,” the official said.
One of those held is a student in a computer institute while the other two studied in different colleges.
“Now we can identify people who actually wrote the ULFA press statements and then passed it on to these three boys, who in turn mailed it to media houses and other organisations,” he added.
Security forces, meanwhile, shot dead a hardcore ULFA militant early Saturday near Kalaigaon in northern Darrang district. Arms and explosives were recovered from the dead man.
- Peaceniks counter ULFA with volleyball - Apr 06, 2012
- Paresh Baruah faction rejects ULFA peace talks - Jan 21, 2011
- First round of ULFA peace talks begins Thursday - Feb 09, 2011
- Son kidnapped to force my surrender, says ULFA commander - Dec 23, 2010
- ULFA offers ceasefire to pave way for talks (Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Bangladesh crackdown puts pressure on ULFA chief - Dec 27, 2010
- Indian agencies deny ULFA leader injured in Myanmar - Sep 10, 2011
- Split in ULFA ranks as 19 commanders opt for peace - Sep 25, 2010
- Split in ULFA? Baruah slams peace talks - Aug 10, 2011
- 20 ULFA militants arrested in fresh Dhaka crackdown - Sep 24, 2010
- ULFA demands constitutional amendment at talks - Oct 25, 2011
- Assam remains largely peaceful on ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- ULFA holds peace talks, says meeting positive - Aug 05, 2011
- Talks soon with ULFA: Interlocuter Haldar - Dec 17, 2010
- ULFA rejects peace initiative, sticks to independence - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: arms and explosives, commander in chief, computer institute, dead man, electronic gadgets, hard disks, intelligence network, intelligence networks, media houses, militants, paresh baruah, pen drives, police official, press statements, security forces, spies, student members, suspicions, ulfa, united liberation front