ULFA cadre nabbed with Chinese grenadeJune 13th, 2012 - 3:01 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 13 (IANS) A joint team of Assam Police and the army Wednesday morning arrested one youth and recovered a Chinese grenade from his possession.
Police later claimed the youth, identified as Nabajit Baishya, was a member of the anti-talk faction of the United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) led by Paresh Baruah, who is living in exile somewhere in northern Myanmar.
“Based on a tip-off, we have carried out a search operation on a bus at Sipajhar in Darrang district Wednesday morning and arrested Nabajit Baishya. The anti-talk ULFA cadre was on his way to Tezpur from Guwahati,” police said, adding that Baishya hails from Tihu in Lower Assam’s Nalbari district.
Police suspected that Baishya procured the grenade from some other cadre of the outfit and was on his way to Tezpur to carry out some subversive activities in that town.
On Saturday last, police seized 12 grenades and six detonators from a bus on the remote Indo-Bhutan border in Lower Assam’s Kokrajhar district and arrested two persons for possessing those.
- Peaceniks counter ULFA with volleyball - Apr 06, 2012
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
- Assam remains largely peaceful on ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Four anti-talks NDFB cadres nabbed in Assam - Apr 30, 2012
- Four persons nabbed, bomb recovered on ULFA raising day - Apr 07, 2012
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Bodo militants, Ulfa linkman nabbed in Assam - Jul 10, 2012
- Three ULFA cadres nabbed in Assam - Jun 30, 2012
- ULFA attempt to disrupt Manmohan's visit foiled - Apr 18, 2012
- Grenade blast on Assam-Arunachal border - Apr 12, 2012
- Assam ups security after ULFA's R-Day boycott call - Jan 23, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Centre alerts Assam ahead of ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Two guerrillas killed in Assam - May 30, 2012
Tags: army, assam police, baruah, bhutan, detonators, district police, faction, grenade, grenades, indo, living in exile, nalbari district, northern myanmar, possession, search operation, subversive activities, two persons, ulfa, united liberation front, wednesday morning