Ukraine goalkeeper crisis deepens ahead of Euro 2012May 3rd, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Kiev(Ukraine), May 3 (IANS) Euro 2012 co-hosts Ukraine are facing goalkeeper crisis ahead of the tournament as first-choice goalkeeper Alexander Shovkovskiy was ruled out of action for at least three months with an injury.
“On May 2, Shovkovskiy will have an operation on his shoulder joint ligaments in the hospital in Munich,” the Dynamo Kiev Football club was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
Shovkovskiy injured his shoulder in Ukraine’s qualifying match in mid-April, but until now, doctors have not considered the injury seriously.
This latest news comes as a blow to Ukraine’s coach Oleg Blokhin, who has had goalkeepers quiting ahead of Euro 2012.
Ukraine’s national team goalkeeper Andriy Dykan got brain concussion and multiple bruises, when he was struck in the face during a game in March, while another keeper Alexand Rybka has been suspended for doping.
According to domestic experts, Ukraine might consider Shakhtar Donetsk goalkeeper Andry Pyatov for the championship.
Ukraine will face France, Sweden and England in the tournaments group stages.
Euro 2012 will be staged from June 8 to July 1 in Ukraine and Poland.
- Ukraine's coach Blokhin names Euro 2012 squad - May 30, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Ukraine's Khacheridi doubtful for England qualifier - Sep 09, 2012
- Ukraine impatient to start Euro campaign: Coach - Jun 11, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Ukrainians struck down by dodgy salad: Team doctor - Jun 07, 2012
- Shevchenko hands Ukraine dream start at Euro 2012 - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ukraine coach slams fans for jeering own team - Jun 16, 2012
- Croatia dark horses of Euro 2012 - Jun 03, 2012
- Ukraine's Euro 2012 preparations enter home stretch: President - May 31, 2012
- Kranjcar to leave Spurs for Dynamo Kiev - Jun 06, 2012
- Kranjcar leaves Spurs for Dynamo Kiev - Jun 07, 2012
- Ukraine coach hits out at refereeing after Euro exit - Jun 20, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: bruises, concussion, domestic experts, donetsk, dynamo kiev, euro 2012, first choice, football club, goalkeeper, group stages, july 1, kiev ukraine, least three months, ligaments, match, munich, oleg blokhin, rybka, shovkovskiy, xinhua