Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead)July 8th, 2011 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Patiala, July 8 (IANS) India’s sacked Ukrainian athletics coach Yuri Ogorodnik Friday said “contaminated” food supplements could be the reason behind six of his trainees failing dope tests.
The coach also blamed the Sports Authority of India (SAI) for not providing basic facilities, modern food supplements and doctors to the athletes.
“I cannot believe the girls tested positive for the same anabolic steroid. I have never given any anabolic steroid to any athlete. I am not to blame for it. The athletes have taken only food supplements and those could be contaminated,” Ogorodnik told TV channels.
“I did not play any role in the doping scandal. I have been set up and this is an attempt to tarnish my reputation,” he said.
“We bought supplements together. I have given them only food supplements and no other tablets. If somebody mix something with food supplements how would you know that?”
Six quarter-milers — Sini Jose, Ashwini Akkunji, Mandeep Kaur, Juana Murmu, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Pawar — who were being coached by Ogorodnik have tested positive for methandienone.
Sini, Ashwini and Mandeep were part of the 4×400 metres relay team that won the gold at last year’s Commonwealth and Asian Games. The athletes had blamed the food supplements recommended by Ogorodnik for failing their dope tests.
“I write the schedule but I have never mentioned any anabolic drugs. I am a professional coach. Every month, these girls are tested and their tests have never shown positive because I have never given them any drugs. Maintain very good discipline. The girls are very sharp and well disciplined. Check food supplement first.”
“I bought supplements from a chemist in Patiala. I can recognize the shops also.”
Ogorodnik said the athletes had to buy food supplements from outside as supplements provided by the SAI were not up to the mark.
“They ((SAI) give us only vitamins and proteins because they don’t have money. For Olympics you need modern food supplements which are very costly. Here you get only rice and spicy food which is not good for the athletes. The supplements come from China etc which are not good quality supplements. We don’t have a doctor. We do not have food or good supplements. We don’t have good places to train. The temperature soars to 40-45 degrees and practice starts at 6 o’clock.”
“SAI protein and vitamin supplements are insufficient. So we bought those from a chemist in Patiala which might be contaminated,” said the Ukrainian coach.
“You didn’t have modern food supplements, we didn’t even have doctors in the academy,” he said.
The coach also reiterated that he fears for his life in India.
“I don’t know what is happening. You all know I am a good coach. The federation shoots me first and asks later. Ask them why they do this.”
“I don’t know what is happening and I also want truth to come out.”
- I've been set-up in doping scandal: Ogorodnik - Jul 08, 2011
- I'm innocent, want to leave India: Ukrainian coach (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2011
- Eight athletes failing dope test is unusual: athletics coach - Jul 31, 2011
- I am innocent, says Ashwini Akkunji - Jul 07, 2011
- Anti-doping agency collects 91 samples at Bangalore camp - Jul 12, 2011
- Doping scandal to haunt India for long - Jul 10, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise check in Bhopal - Jul 16, 2011
- Ukranian coach fears for his life, desperate to return home - Jul 06, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- Three athletes' B samples also test positive - Jul 08, 2011
- SAI cracks the whip on coaches at NIS Patiala (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala, files complaint (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Mandeep, Juana ask for food supplements to be examined (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: ashwini, asian games, check food, chemist, dope tests, food supplement, food supplements, juana, mandeep kaur, mary thomas, pawar, priyanka, professional coach, quarter milers, relay team, sini, sports authority, tiana, tv channels, yuri