Ukraine annuls pact on Russia’s use of Black Sea baseMay 21st, 2008 - 8:04 pm ICT by admin
Kiev (Ukraine), May 21 (RIA Novosti) Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko has signed a decree to terminate all agreements covering the presence of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet in its territory. According to the decree, the Ukranian cabinet will prepare a draft law by July 20, 2008, for the implementation of the decision.
“The president has instructed the government to make a comprehensive assessment of the consequences of the temporary presence of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet in Ukraine within two months,” the document says.
Russia’s Black Sea Fleet currently uses a range of naval facilities in the Crimea under an agreement signed in 1997, under which Ukraine agreed to lease naval facilities to Russia until 2017.
Russia and Ukraine have frequently entered into diplomatic row over the lease of the base. Moscow currently pays Kiev $93 million per year for permission to use the base.
- Russia, Ukraine agree on naval base lease extension - Apr 22, 2010
- Ukraine parliament ratifies naval base deal with Russia (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Ukraine ex-PM gets 7-year jail for abuse of office - Oct 11, 2011
- Smoke bomb, eggs thrown at Ukraine speaker - Apr 27, 2010
- Eggs Flung At The Ukrainian Speaker As The Ukrainian Legislators Clash Over Pro-Russia Decision Ukrainian Speaker - Apr 28, 2010
- Russia to rent pilot training facilities in Ukraine - Oct 20, 2011
- Ukraine to extradite Putin death plot suspect - Aug 24, 2012
- Putin urges Ukraine to join new Russian space centre project - Apr 13, 2011
- Russian warships not to enter Syria port: Navy chief - Jul 27, 2012
- Russian warships hold drills in Mediterranean - Aug 11, 2012
- Russia, Ukraine reach pact in sea border talks - Jun 05, 2011
- Ukrain Parliament Witnesses Egg Throwing And Smoke Bombs - Apr 28, 2010
- Brazil, Ukraine bolster bilateral relations - Dec 03, 2009
- Russia may evacuate personnel from Syria if attacked - Jul 29, 2012
- Ukraine may sell state stake in airline - May 05, 2012