Ugly-looking wicket, made run scoring difficult: DhoniOctober 26th, 2011 - 1:04 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 25 (IANS) Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni Tuesday expressed his disappointment over the wicket at Eden Gardens and felt the team was fortunate to score 270 plus runs on the “ugly looking” wicket.
?If you see the wicket you don?t get the same kind of confidence, to some extent it was a very ugly looking wicket. Once you are not really set, one ball can spin or keep low, the reverse swing the bowlers were getting in the afternoon.., it was very difficult to score runs. We are fortunate to score 270 plus runs on a wicket like this,? said Dhoni at a post match award ceremony.
India defeated England by 95 runs in the fifth ODI to complete a 5-0 whitewash at the Eden Gardens here Tuesday.
Chasing 272, England were all out for 176 in 37 overs. Spinners Ravichandran Ashwin (3-28) and Ravindra Jadeja (4-33) were the best bowlers for India.
The hosts seemed in trouble at 80/3 after losing seasoned opener Gautam Gambhir (38), in-form Virat Kohli (0) and the young Ajinkya Rahane (42) in the space of 10 balls in the 18th over.
Gambhir, who got a life at 25 with Kieswetter dropping a diving chance, played on to his stumps, while Kohli saw his stumps shattered by pacer Steven Finn. Kieswetter took an edge offered by Rahane off an away going ball of Tim Bresnan.
- Eden curator has a dig at Dhoni's 'ugly wicket' remark - Oct 27, 2011
- India whitewash England 5-0, avenge humiliation (Roundup) - Oct 25, 2011
- Captain Dhoni blazes India to challenging total (Lead) - Oct 25, 2011
- Kohli, Raina power India to six-wicket victory (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- England restrict India to 120/9 (Lead) - Oct 29, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs England, fifth ODI - Oct 25, 2011
- Kohli's ton, double century stand with Gambhir see India victorious - Oct 18, 2011
- England put India in to bat in fifth ODI - Oct 25, 2011
- Pietersen pilots England to six-wicket win (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2011
- Jadeja, Ashwin help India to huge win (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs England, Twenty20 - Oct 29, 2011
- England elect to bat in third ODI against India - Oct 20, 2011
- Fourth ODI: India's scoreboard against England - Sep 11, 2011
- Rahane shines as India take 3-0 lead against England (Roundup) - Oct 21, 2011
- Scoreboard: India vs. England, 4th ODI - Sep 12, 2011
Tags: award ceremony, bowlers, bresnan, dhoni, disappointment, eden gardens, fifth odi, finn, gambhir, indian skipper, jadeja, kieswetter, kohli, match, pacer, ravichandran, ravindra, stumps, whitewash, wicket