UGC to set up national ragging helpline by June 15May 27th, 2009 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) The University Grants Commission (UGC) Wednesday issued guidelines for a national call centre to be set up to enable ragging victims from across the country to register their complaints by dialling a toll free number.
“The Education Consultancy India Ltd (ECIL) has been entrusted with the job of setting up of the national call centre. By June 15, it will be operational,” UGC Chairman Sukhadeo Thorat told reporters Wednesday.
The helpline will be equipped with software that will pass on the complaints directly to the head of the institution within 15 minutes to help the administration protect the victims.
Thorat said the helpline will operate around the clock and the UGC will monitor its functioning.
Under the anti-ragging laws, student offenders can be fined up to Rs.250,000 or rusticated for one to four semesters if found guilty of ragging.
The offence will be treated as a severe criminal act, he added.
The new provisions laid down by the UGC also requires that the parents and students give a written undertaking, at the time of admission, that they are aware of the ragging guidelines and will report any such incident.
- Sibal launches anti-ragging portal - Jul 26, 2012
- Anti-ragging helpline for Uttar Pradesh colleges soon - Jun 16, 2012
- Anti-ragging vigil as Delhi University opens Wednesday - Jul 20, 2010
- Two Haryana students suspended for ragging - Aug 19, 2010
- Chandigarh administration gears up to curb ragging - Jul 17, 2009
- Engineering student turns nervous wreck after ragging - Aug 16, 2010
- Expel, deny admission to students guilty of ragging: UGC - Mar 22, 2009
- JNU rusticates nine students for ragging - Aug 19, 2009
- Delhi University opens on no ragging note (Second Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Now, report ragging in Himachal through SMS - Jul 27, 2010
- Medical student alleges ragging - Sep 16, 2010
- Protests against police firing rock Kerala assembly - Oct 11, 2011
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Smooth ride for freshers at DU - Jul 21, 2011
- Engineering student hospitalised after ragging in hostel - Sep 09, 2010