Uganda issues terror alert on Al Qaeda-linked groupAugust 4th, 2011 - 11:09 am ICT by IANS
Kampala, Aug 4 (IANS) Uganda has issued a fresh terror alert about a threat from Somalia-based, Al Qaeda-linked outfit Al Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
Police chief Maj. Gen. Kale Kayihura Wednesday said the country’s security agencies were building intelligence about the threat.
He said Al Shabaab has been make attempts to carry out attacks similar to the July 2010 bombings in the capital Kampala.
The Kampala bombings were to avenge Uganda’s deployment of peacekeepers in Somalia where Al Shabaab is fighting the transitional federal government.
He said the current threat was intended to avenge the killing of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden and the death of a senior Al Qaeda operative in the region, Fazul Abdullah Mohammed.
The police chief said Uganda was among the top 20 countries that Al Qaeda wants to attack.
He also said Al Qaeda was experimenting on how to carry out surgery to conceal bombs inside a human body.
- 64 dead in Uganda bombings (Second lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Three killed, dozens injured after Kenya bus explosion - Dec 22, 2010
- European security experts fear al-Qaeda wings expanded to Uganda - Sep 21, 2010
- Obama's step grandmother threatened by Al Qaeda - May 13, 2011
- Four men admit to Uganda bombings - Aug 13, 2010
- Uganda jails two for roles in deadly World Cup bombing - Sep 17, 2011
- 74 dead in Uganda blasts (Third Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Is Obama's grandmother under threat from Al Qaeda? - May 13, 2011
- Four peacekeepers killed in Somalia - Aug 30, 2010
- 40 Americans in Somali terror group: US senator - Jul 28, 2011
- Twin Blasts Hit Uganda, Leaves 64 Dead - Jul 12, 2010
- At least 32 dead, including MPs, after hotel attack in Somalia - Aug 25, 2010
- Obama bans Somalia charcoal import - Jul 21, 2012
- Uganda bomb blast shows Al Shabaab's intent to attack the US homeland - Jul 13, 2010
- Bomb blasts at World Cup viewing parties in Uganda kill at least 64 - Jul 12, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, attempts, bombings, bombs, deployment, fazul abdullah mohammed, federal government, human body, intelligence, kale kayihura, osama bin laden, peacekeepers, police chief, qaeda operative, security agencies, somalia, terror alert, xinhua